The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

S

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah !

and here's another with some insights on his methods for harmonic choices, rhythm .... ...

S

User Info Menu

He’s way up there. I think of him, Julian Lage and Pasquale Grasso as bearers of the torch somehow. And of those three, I think I like Kreisberg the most because literally everything he plays is _music_ . It’s deep yet accessible and sweet at the same time. Grasso and Lage sometimes go over my head. My jaw is still on the floor from Kreisberg’s rendition of My Favourite Things. He’s the Tommy Emmanuel of jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    He’s way up there. I think of him, Julian Lage and Pasquale Grasso as bearers of the torch somehow. And of those three, I think I like Kreisberg the most because literally everything he plays is _music_ . It’s deep yet accessible and sweet at the same time. Grasso and Lage sometimes go over my head. My jaw is still on the floor from Kreisberg’s rendition of My Favourite Things. He’s the Tommy Emmanuel of jazz.
    Really like listening to those 3....
    I've only been back to playing guitar in the past few months (in retirement after a 40 year guitar hiatus)

Did not listen to much jazz music in those 40 years and did not keep any of my guitars. Joined this forum a few months ago and listened to the many suggestions of newer innovative players and many of the older masters.

Strangely enough I realized I never really liked the music/tunes/songs played by the traditional "masters" as much as they're actual playing on those tunes. Odd I know.
    I just picked up where I had left off in the 70s with Pat Martino. Alas, wife did not enjoy my practising of PM's licks for hours though. Through this forum I stumbled on Julian Lage 's "someday my prince will come" and I thought "WOW" now that's interesting playing and that has led me to Pasquale G and J Kreisberg Gilad Hekselman and so many others...

Personally I feel Kreisberg's playing most similar to how I always wanted or want to play, while at the same time, being totally different from my harmonic vision (did I ever have one? ) His touch, his sound, the way he makes old standards just breathe with a new feel, I love it all (well except the Holdsworth stuff ).... Grasso is a guitar giant (with appropriately large hands) he plays such nice melodic and acrobatic licks and super fast too, a modern successor to Joe Pass! There are so many good guitarists these days, not a week goes by without a new one to listen to and wonder.....

S

User Info Menu

Thanks for the links. I really like Jonathan's playing as well.

Here's one more interview that I found interesting. This one with Josh Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Thanks for the links. I really like Jonathan's playing as well.

Here's one more interview that I found interesting. This one with Josh Smith.

THx for posting, I had seen that one but I had forgotten some of the finer moments

Strangely enough 2 guitarists talked for over an hour with guitars in hand and no one played a note!!!

S

User Info Menu

Yeah, SOLR, that Josh Smith interview is just more like a good coffeehouse chat. Two good players from different genres hanging out. But despite the Flat V title, it doesn't cover technical jazz stuff--complex harmony, odd meters, and so on--much at all, not like the videos you posted. Those have a bit more meat on their bones! Cheers.

Here's why I think J K is one of the best ..
    . In this studio version of autumn in New York. (like it better than Kenny Burrell's actually which is pretty darn good)

Every note he plays fits perfectly, melodically with impeccable tempo and picking stoke and when you play the licks out of that context it seems they just want to get back to that tune.....

S