The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

My interpretation of the "prelude or introduction or whatever" is that he was getting to know the guitar, testing its response to the boundaries of his own extraordinary playing ability
    ....indeed...and no piano... AMEN

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Julian is one of the most interesting and joyful players alive today and it's gonna be a treat to see his career evolve. He and Emmet Cohen are two young jazz musicians who seem to see and have no limits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Well the pickup is certainly a primitive design. Surprising that it sounds as good as it does.

One wonders if we are conditioned to a “jazz guitar sound” based on retro pickup, amp and recording technology. Now with all our sophisticated tech we try to recreate those old “crude” sounds.
    I think that's EXACTLY it. Why everyone reaches for the tone knob (to turn it down) first thing, like a muffled tone = jazz.

Horns (like Louis Armstrong) didn't seem to suffer the primitive recording techniques nearly as poorly as the guitar did, for some reason.

User Info Menu

I saw Julian three years ago in amazing, unforgettable concert, and then again two weeks ago. I was surprised to see how much his playing had further developed. His improvisations are from a different planet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    It is not clear if or how much he had access to the guitar before the performance. My interpretation of the "prelude or introduction or whatever" is that he was getting to know the guitar, testing its response to the boundaries of his own extraordinary playing ability. I agree that section might have had some "sound of the noodle" to it, but that was not really for us. He successfully inhibited playing the intro to Stairway To Heaven. How dare anyone here second guess what he did, how he did it, or why. I think that was just between him and this particular guitar - the unique opportunity of an exploratory kind of test drive (maybe like in the way that you would test drive a car by doing some things that you might never do in ordinary daily driving traffic).

The other side of the coin is that he might have had to accept that guitar without being allowed to modify it to suit him much other than a new set of strings. The "prelude or introduction or whatever" may well have served as a warm-up and accommodation period for his hands. Or maybe he just wanted to cherish some time playing the damn thing for the brief time he had it in his hands. During the "prelude or introduction or whatever" he may well have been riding a personal "life moment" of oblivious ecstasy. Maybe he needed some time to come down before he was ready to engage the band and play a tune.

This makes a lot of sense to me. So in a way, we are privileged to see how such a magnificent player "warms up" and acquaints himself with a new (to him) instrument.
    Okay so that changes my whole perspective on the clip.
    Thank you!

I'm baked and this is blowing my mind right now.

User Info Menu

Wow. I like Lage, very much appreciate him, but this is the most enjoyment I’ve actually gotten from his playing. Hope he continues in this vein of development… contrapuntal playing, wildly creative lines, string skipping. Until seeing this, I’ve just thought he was an amazing talent, but I couldn’t connect with his voice on the instrument. Now I’m beginning to. Will be fun to watch him continue to grow, like Jacob Collier… feeling their oats, marshaling their super powers.

User Info Menu

Really cool, JLage can really play.