The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The recent discussion of Louis Stewart reminded me of some old radio broadcasts I have of Louis, and of Louis and Martin Taylor, so I decided to post them. Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Details of the 2 concerts:

Louis Stewart live at the Camden Jazz Festival, Camden Roundhouse, 1981 (radio broadcast).
    Louis Stewart - guitar; Dave Green - bass; Bryan Spring - drums.
    0:00 Scrapple from the Apple
    5:50 All Blues
    14:45 You Don't Know What Love Is (solo guitar)
    20:59 Naima
    29:35 Billies Bounce

Louis Stewart and Martin Taylor live at the Bass Clef, London, 1985 (radio broadcast).
    Martin Taylor - acoustic guitar (left); Louis Stewart - acoustic guitar (right).
    0:00 Bernie's Tune
    6:58 Stompin' at the Savoy
    16:21 Jive at Five
    25:13 Manha de Carnaval
    35:57 Darn That Dream
    45:15 Farewell to Erin

User Info Menu

Great stuff, thanks Graham!
    I wonder what guitars they used for the acoustic set?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Great stuff, thanks Graham!
    I wonder what guitars they used for the acoustic set?
    Yes I’ve always wondered about that. I assume it was whatever they used on their Acoustic Duets album, which was recorded around the same time and featured the same tunes. I don’t have it, but here’s the cover image.

Louis Stewart/Martin Taylor concerts-a46f8757-3e50-4669-8dba-76a83a33689a-jpeg

User Info Menu

It’s nice to have that Louis 1981 set, as that was the year I saw him up north at a jazz festival when I was at uni, it must have been the first jazz guitar gig I ever saw. He was playing with the same trio and as I recall he played a similar setlist, i.e. some standards, and a Chick Corea tune. It was a fantastic gig, I remember that much. Louis was on mid-afternoon and there weren’t many people in the audience (they all turned up later for some kind of big-band tribute thing), but Louis still gave it 100%.

So it’s great to have a sort of memento of that gig.

User Info Menu

Re. the acoustic guitars, I’ve done some googling to establish what they were playing on that Acoustic Duets album cover, and my best guess is that Louis is using some kind of Gibson L7, while Martin is playing a WG Barker guitar he was given by Ike Isaacs. I think they both possessed those guitars at the time.

If so, that could be what they used on the live set too?

User Info Menu

One of those great "unknown" guitarists.