The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Houston is such a beautiful cat!
    I went to the Phil Woods Memorial Concert out in Pennsylvania, and they had some guys that were great technicians, but their playing just left me cold.
    Then Houston came limping out, and when he started playing, it was like a warm ray of sunlight flooded the entire auditorium.
    Just a magical experience.

User Info Menu

I also loved that woman's voice. It had its own tone that was so pleasing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Houston is such a beautiful cat!
    I went to the Phil Woods Memorial Concert out in Pennsylvania, and they had some guys that were great technicians, but their playing just left me cold.
    Then Houston came limping out, and when he started playing, it was like a warm ray of sunlight flooded the entire auditorium.
    Just a magical experience.
    A spot on assessment of a master musician. HP is the definition of a legend. Granted, he's the reigning king of the soul tenor sound, and might be the greatest ever, that would be enough for me, but he's way more than that.
    How lucky we are to still have him around.

User Info Menu

I tuned out at 7:50. This chick is arguing about interpretation with one of the great ballad players that ever played any instrument. She is clueless, subliminally arrogant, and is representative of the deep, impassable cultural divide between generations. If she lives to be a 100 y.o., she won't get it. She thinks she has it now.
    Marinero

P.S.
    Beam me up, Scotty . . . well, you know the rest.
    M
    Last edited by Marinero; 11-02-2022 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

At least she has neither a problem finding people who play with her …

… nor finding places to perform

And she holds a degree in World History LOL.

LUCY YEGHIAZARYAN | Jazz NYC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    A spot on assessment of a master musician. HP is the definition of a legend. Granted, he's the reigning king of the soul tenor sound, and might be the greatest ever, that would be enough for me, but he's way more than that.
    How lucky we are to still have him around.
    Yeah, he played all standards at the Phil Woods Memorial concert I mentioned, and it just blew away all the young cats that played before him.
    Phil loved the old cats like Johnny Hodges, Benny Carter, Budd Johnson, Johnny Griffin, Oliver Nelson, and they loved him. HP saved the whole concert for me.
    His medium tempo version of "The Very Thought of You" brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful. I went home and found his recording of it, and wrote a big band arrangement of it, based on HP's version. The cats in the band loved it.