The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Came across this guitarist by random on YouTube. I could not find much information on him, his name suggests he is Israeli (somewhere something was written about the Tel Aviv scene), he must have lived in NYC for a while and seems to live in London now.

Anyway, my bop-ish heart likes those legato lines with a certain powerful bluesy edge.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great player...very nice...:-)

User Info Menu

Ofer Landsberg is one of my favourite guitarists, a great teacher to me and someone I would consider a friend.

He was born in Israel and moved to NYC young in the early 2000s to be around Barry Harris and the Smalls scene. He had, and continues to have, an association with NYC musicians such as Chris Byars, Zaid Nasser, Ari Roland, Keith Balla, etc - the same circles that Pasquale Grasso now moves in.

After some time in The Hague, he moved to London in the 2010s with his partner, vocalist Charlotte Storer (also a student of Barry Harris). That's where I met them. Around 2017/2018, Ofer ran a weekly workshop here along the lines of Barry Harris' classes. I also began taking private lessons with him around that time. He's a great teacher and his approach is very much the Barry Harris model.

He and Charlotte moved to Israel in 2019 and he's working a lot in Tel Aviv. We keep in touch and I take the occasional Zoom lesson from him.

Sadly he hasn't recorded that much. His quartet album 'I'll Be Around' is a favourite and he's also on saxophonist/flautist Ofer Shapira's 2020 album 'Lockdown'.

He has a full set of his originals, nicely filmed and recorded in 2021, to watch here: Landsberg’s Offer - Play2Fund

Last edited by David B; 09-20-2022 at 06:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks David for the info and those videos. Next time you talk to him please tell him it would be great if he had a website and encourage him to record some more. And tell him “Shalom” from an unknown fan from Munich.

User Info Menu

Ofer is a kick-ass guitar player and a nice guy as well. He used to play a lot in my home town (The Hague - Netherlands) and we visited the same jamsessions sometimes. I really dig his old school approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Came across this guitarist by random on YouTube. I could not find much information on him, his name suggests he is Israeli (somewhere something was written about the Tel Aviv scene), he must have lived in NYC for a while and seems to live in London now.

Anyway, my bop-ish heart likes those legato lines with a certain powerful bluesy edge.

Great player! Unusual use of slides in his lines.

User Info Menu

Charlotte Storer's debut album 'Meandering' is out now on Neal Miner's label Gut String Records. Recorded in The Hague, it showcases Charlotte accompanied by a trio of Ofer Landsberg, bassist Uli Glassmann and drummer Eric Ineke. It features a mixture of lesser-sung songs and Charlotte's original lyrics to Tadd Dameron's 'Casbah' and Charlie Parker's 'Meandering'.

Spotify:
    Unsupported browser

Tidal:
    tidal.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Charlotte Storer's debut album 'Meandering' is out now on Neal Miner's label Gut String Records. Recorded in The Hague, it showcases Charlotte accompanied by a trio of Ofer Landsberg, bassist Uli Glassmann and drummer Eric Ineke. It features a mixture of lesser-sung songs and Charlotte's original lyrics to Tadd Dameron's 'Casbah' and Charlie Parker's 'Meandering'.

Spotify:
    Unsupported browser

Tidal:
    tidal.com
    Just listening to it and enthusiatic! Great singer and grooving band as well. Absolutely to my taste!