Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have them both but like this one much better

User Info Menu

Oh, hell yes, thanks!

There’s a lot of good stuff lurking up there on archive.org

The Boston Library put a ton of their vinyl up there, it’s worth a look.

Boston Public Library Vinyl Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I have them both but like this one much better

I have just listened to the Beverley Kenney album and I have to say that I like Jeri Southern better. I do not dig that little-girl-ish playfulness very much in female singers and I perceive Jeri to have more credibility, honesty and depth (with a little touch of serene irony).

Regarding the instrumentalists I like the Kenney album as well. It might be more improvised while the Southern album is maybe more arranged. I like the minimalist simplicity of the latter.

As always, tastes differ, just my honest opinion or perception.

User Info Menu

I have just listened to the Beverley Kenney album and I have to say that I like Jeri Southern better. I do not dig that little-girl-ish playfulness very much in female singers and I perceive Jeri to have more credibility, honesty and depth (with a little touch of serene irony).

Regarding the instrumentalists I like the Kenney album as well. It might be more improvised while the Southern album is maybe more arranged. I like the minimalist simplicity of the latter.

As always, tastes differ, just my honest opinion or perception.
    I get the little girl thing which is why I'm not a big Ella fan (ducks!) But I like Kenney for some reason, her phrasing is more interesting than Southern to me.

User Info Menu

I get the little girl thing which is why I'm not a big Ella fan (ducks!) But I like Kenney for some reason, her phrasing is more interesting than Southern to me.
    I’m a huge Ella fan LOL. Regarding the phrasing I understand what you mean, Jeri is more straight.

I have nothing against playfulness in phrasing BTW. It is more the timbre and the attitude. But it is not so bad that the Beverly album would be unlistenable for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxsmith
    Oh, hell yes, thanks!

But look for those that are also in the “Unlocked Recordings” collection, otherwise you get only 30 sec samples.

User Info Menu

I have these, but it's been years since I've listened to them, I think they didn't excite me when I got them. I'll have to dust them off and revisit.
    Weren't some of these a part of that massive Mosaic complete sessions box set?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I have these, but it's been years since I've listened to them, I think they didn't excite me when I got them. I'll have to dust them off and revisit.
    Weren't some of these a part of that massive Mosaic complete sessions box set?
    Only the ones that were on Roost.

User Info Menu

I have all the Smith lps and bought the Smith box when it came out but I don't think I've even listened to it yet.

User Info Menu

I have all the Smith lps and bought the Smith box when it came out but I don't think I've even listened to it yet.
    Collectors LOL. But the cover is nice to look at as well, I like those vintage headphones and the way he is looking up to her while she is looking into the distance .
    Last edited by Bop Head; 09-10-2022 at 01:23 AM.

User Info Menu

One singer I discovered a few month’s ago through Emmet’s Place on YouTube and who is in between “the little girl thing” and Ella is Cyrille Aimée. She grew up in Samois-sur-Seine, France, the place where Django retired and is burried at and where an annual gypsy jazz festival honors him which exposed her to jazz. Later she moved to NYC and now lives in NOLA. Apart from immediatedly falling in love after seeing her on YT LOL I really like what she is doing musically. She is also a great scat singer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxsmith
    Oh, hell yes, thanks!

This is, however, unfortunate: A Sign Of The Times : The Guitar & Orchestra Of Joe Pass : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

User Info Menu

Everyone has his Easy Listening moments once in his life (or even more times) …

There are three albums by Chet with The Mariachi Brass and two with The Carmel strings in the Internet Archive. Maybe there are even more …

Dizzy Gillespie only failed once (IMHO): “It’s my way” (not in the Archive)

User Info Menu

Hey, man, these guys gotta make a living and straight ahead jazz and bebop does not sell records. Those albums are not aimed at us, you know?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Hey, man, these guys gotta make a living and straight ahead jazz and bebop does not sell records. Those albums are not aimed at us, you know?
    Oh my god, do not take it so serious.

In the case of Dizzy BTW I think he was always taking good care of business and of his life so in his case it was rather that he wanted to do a pop album or someone from the record company wanted him to do one.

And you always have the choice not to sell yourself. Some people became teachers like Tristano or Banacos, others like Sheila Jordan decided to take a day-job in order to stay true to themselves and did music only part-time.

It would be interesting to check how many of those records were really sold.

User Info Menu

The Mariachi Chet LP is actually pretty enjoyable for mid-60s Space Age Pop. Some of the finest studio players in New York had regular gigs doing Easy Listening studio work. Everyone has to eat and feed their kids.

User Info Menu

Oh my god, do not take it so serious.

In the case of Dizzy BTW I think he was always taking good care of business and of his life so in his case it was rather that he wanted to do a pop album or someone from the record company wanted him to do one.

And you always have the choice not to sell yourself. Some people became teachers like Tristano or Banacos, others like Sheila Jordan decided to take a day-job in order to stay true to themselves and did music only part-time.

It would be interesting to check how many of those records were really sold.
    I find it ironic that you advise one not take it so serious than go on to use the term "in order to stay true to themselves".

User Info Menu

They’re just trying to compete with Wes.

User Info Menu

Re: Easy Listening music, I enjoy a lot of it - in fact I just listened to a couple of Chet Atkins records on Archive.org that definitely fall in that genre.

When I was a kid, there was no jazz station in my area, but there was a 24/7 “Beautiful Music” (Easy Listening) station. All instrumental music, lots of standard tunes, great studio players and lots and lots of melody. I also remember hearing a lot of clean, chord melody guitar. Seems odd I know, for a kid growing up in the mid-60s and ‘70s to prefer classical and easy listening and big band to the current rock and pop (I had zero interest, and still do, in The Beatles), but I think I learned a lot about melodic playing, good sound, and restraint from WTAR FM 97.3

As far as “selling yourself”, anyone who goes into a studio and makes a recording that ends up “for sale” in some format or venue, is “selling themselves”.

Relaxin’ with the other Chet…

Archive.org - Chet Atkins - Relaxin’ With Chet

Jeri Southern Meets Johnny Smith-17529bcf-d7a8-4028-8dbf-058089eabc79-png