The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hello everybody,
    I'm looking for new, relatively known or maybe even obscure players who are innovating jazz (and guitar playing in general).
    I "hate" traditional jazz players with the traditional "closed" tone and those focused on playing mainly solos, super technique and/or crazy speed.
    I like: players focused on harmonizing melodies rather than playing solos; those who experiment with rhythm; those who "play like pianists"; those who experiment with tone/effects; those who mix jazz with noise rock; those who don't disdain country; those who use free improvisation.
    Examples of different styles from contemporary players I like: Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot, Nels Cline, Julian Lage, Mary Halvorson, Miles Okazaki, Blake Mills, Marisa Anderson.

Can you suggest names of players who could fit into this list?
    Thank you so much, I'm really looking for some fresh, inspiring new music.

Best,
    dario

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You must be very young, but don't underestimate the older generation of guitarists and another instrumentalists.
    Respect to history is the right way.

I'm not so young, actually! (I'm 45). I've spent a lot of time in my adolescence and first maturity listening to the history of jazz but now, since I'd like to listen to new players, I don't want to waste time listening to people who still play "like" Django, Charlie C, Wes M, Kenny B, Grant G, Joe P and so on (I'd rather go back to my vinyls and listen to the originals!). As I said, I'm looking to relatively new (at least new to me), original players. Thanks a lot.

User Info Menu

Jakob Bro would be your thing, I imagine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darvil
    I'm not so young, actually! (I'm 45). I've spent a lot of time in my adolescence and first maturity listening to the history of jazz but now, since I'd like to listen to new players, I don't want to waste time listening to people who still play "like" Django, Charlie C, Wes M, Kenny B, Grant G, Joe P and so on (I'd rather go back to my vinyls and listen to the originals!). As I said, I'm looking to relatively new (at least new to me), original players. Thanks a lot.
    Ben Eunson- i like his book:

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Jakob Bro would be your thing, I imagine.
    Thanks a lot, I'm listening to it right now, typical ECM sound, very subtle guitar playing, that's exactly the kind of suggestion I was looking for. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Ben Eunson- i like his book:
    Very Technical, seems more on the education side to me, but thanks nonetheless.

User Info Menu

You might dig Matt Stevens too...and of course Ben Monder.

User Info Menu

Dave Okumu

User Info Menu

Nir Felder

User Info Menu

Jim Campilongo

User Info Menu

Andrew Renfroe

User Info Menu

Brandon Ross

User Info Menu

Jamie Leeming

User Info Menu

Chris Crocco

User Info Menu

Ben Monder. John Abercrombie (later in his career). Julian Lage. Mike Stern. Mick Goodrick, who is the spiritual father and often direct teacher of these and almost all of those guitarists you've mentioned.

And Allan Holdsworth.

If you like chordal/harmonic playing it is hard to do better than Ed Bickert in any generation. And don't overlook Gene Bertoncini, particularly some of his solo playing.

User Info Menu

good to see new energy growing in music..

Matteo Mancuso ..one of my faves..playing finger style and applying it to all styles..with confidence and taste

recent touring with Al Di Meola

Matteo Mancuso - YouTube

one more Muris Verajic

Last edited by wolflen; 09-06-2022 at 06:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I usually type in "Matthew" Stevens because there's another guy on YT called Matt Stevens who plays acoustic guitar(?)

Gilad Hekselman - maybe start with his tune "Verona"

Black Midi if you want "noise". I love them

User Info Menu

Scott Henderson, Mark Letteri?

User Info Menu

Also an up and coming talent and recent winner of the Freedman Fellowship:

Hilary Geddes:

Hilary Geddes | Guitarist | Composer | Educator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darvil
    Hello everybody,
    I'm looking for new, relatively known or maybe even obscure players who are innovating jazz (and guitar playing in general).
    I "hate" traditional jazz players with the traditional "closed" tone and those focused on playing mainly solos, super technique and/or crazy speed.
    I like: players focused on harmonizing melodies rather than playing solos; those who experiment with rhythm; those who "play like pianists"; those who experiment with tone/effects; those who mix jazz with noise rock; those who don't disdain country; those who use free improvisation.
    Examples of different styles from contemporary players I like: Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot, Nels Cline, Julian Lage, Mary Halvorson, Miles Okazaki, Blake Mills, Marisa Anderson.

Can you suggest names of players who could fit into this list?
    Thank you so much, I'm really looking for some fresh, inspiring new music.

Best,
    dario
    Most original jazz guitarist I’ve heard for a decade or so

Thank you everybody, so many directions to explore!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    ahhhh..a master in our midst..

may fame nor fortune corrupt

User Info Menu

Tom Ollendorff
    Romain Pilon
    Wolfgang Muthspiel
    Lorenzo Cominoli
    Mai Inoue
    Yosuke Onuma