The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Cilla was discovered by the Beatles as a hat/coat check girl at the Cavern and apparently was very close to them and had quite the career.
    I remember this tune by her as a kid even before Dionne Warwick's but am very late to the party on her in general, these performances are superb and "Anyone" is apparently still the best selling recording by a female artist in the UK since '64.
    And that's Sir George Martin conducting the orchestra in that video. (and that band!)
    ps notice she screwed up the intro but the band saved her, and she gives George a "sorry about that" smile......

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great, but I’m a true Dusty man. Check these two young ones being exposed to Dusty:

User Info Menu

Can’t stand Cilla. Sorry. Dusty, on the other hand…the real deal.

User Info Menu

This is the song I always associate with Cilla Black. Written for her by Paul McCartney.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    That's ok Rob, it's fine for you to be wrong once in awhile As I said I don't know a lot about her but I'd put those 2 performances up against Dusty and Dionne's any day.

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t mind being right once in a while! (As I am here!)

User Info Menu

Vic Flick mentioned her in his autobiography. He said he "hated her voice and hated having to work with her."
    He also had bad things to say about John Barry, George Martin, Shirley Bassey, Barbra Streisand, Jimmy Page, you name them, he worked with them.

User Info Menu

I've always found her cover of "Shotgun" to be kind of hysterical. It's almost like a Saturday Night Live skit mocking blue eyed soul.

That said, I do like her "Alfie" more than the competition. Something about her square, stand-and-deliver singing matches well with that song for me (Bacharach supposedly made her sing it like 30 times until her performance was molded as he wanted it).

But she doesn't put me under a spell after two syllables like Dusty can, generally speaking.

User Info Menu

I've never heard of Cilla before this thread but I'm not very impressed by her belting style and stiff feel for Bacharach's syncopations. I've also honestly never quite understood the adulation Dusty gets but Dusty's tone and sensual delivery on tunes "The Look of Love" is unique and serves those songs well. Dionne Warwick's phrasing is a perfect marriage with Bacharach's music. They spent tons of time together crafting that partnership and she deeply understood that music. I recall reading that Carlos Santana said he was influenced by her phrasing and actually imitated it on his guitar when practicing.

User Info Menu

Everyone should listen to Dionne Warwick's phrasing. Absolute perfection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I've never heard of Cilla before this thread but I'm not very impressed by her belting style and stiff feel for Bacharach's syncopations. I've also honestly never quite understood the adulation Dusty gets but Dusty's tone and sensual delivery on tunes "The Look of Love" is unique and serves those songs well. Dionne Warwick's phrasing is a perfect marriage with Bacharach's music. They spent tons of time together crafting that partnership and she deeply understood that music. I recall reading that Carlos Santana said he was influenced by her phrasing and actually imitated it on his guitar when practicing.
    And to think, DW was a young kid when she first connected with Bacharach! She carried his songbook throughout the 60’s. I definitely grew up on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Dusty for me too since the beginning. Already had three of her singles in the early 60s with her brothers in the Springfields. I was shocked when she died too young from breast cancer.