The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Here's the incomparable Zoot Sims with his big, inventive sound featuring Joe Pass on guitar, Grady Tate, drums, George Mraz, bass, and Oscar Peterson, piano. Enjoy!
    Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I saw Zoot back in the day opening for the Great Guitars in a small club

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I saw Zoot back in the day opening for the Great Guitars in a small club

Lucky Man, W!
    I also saw him live at the Airport Lounge in Miami in '76 and it was a memorable evening. Recently, they had a fascinating tribute to him on NPR,a couple of years ago, detailing his life and music. One of the greats!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Discovered this rather early album recently in the Internet Archive

User Info Menu

Zoot featured on two tracks of this big band album

User Info Menu

Interesting historical document, especially in these times …

User Info Menu

heard of him though this fantastic Chuck Wayne album.

User Info Menu

A nice concert video with Red Mitchell and Rune Gustafsson:

User Info Menu

One of my favorite Zoot Sims albums; what a solid band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    A nice concert video with Red Mitchell and Rune Gustafsson:

Beautiful — so lyrical. According to wiki his last recording, an album recording that was also filmed.

I am trying to find something totally different, a rock'n'roll album recorded incognito by jazz musicians (idea of a label owner). I think Gerry Mulligan played bari, Zoot might have been on that one, too, but I cannot remember the name of the group / album.

User Info Menu

He was the guest star with a big band I was playing in at a jazz festival.
    He left his dressing room door open, and we watched him practicing.
    He had a big bottle of booze, and we watched him blow a few licks, then take a slug, then blow a few more licks, then take another slug,etc... till the bottle was finished.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    He was the guest star with a big band I was playing in at a jazz festival.
    He left his dressing room door open, and we watched him practicing.
    He had a big bottle of booze, and we watched him blow a few licks, then take a slug, then blow a few more licks, then take another slug,etc... till the bottle was finished.
    Hi, S,
    Like many Jazzers during those years, Zoot was a hard drinker and eventually died from cancer/liver failure at 59. It was said that he was obsessive in his daily "practice" routines his entire life(NPR) and had a distinct artistic voice that was a result of those musical wanderings. Zoot had that big, fat sound like many in his generation and his hard bop to ballads were inspiring, creative, and original. What a great memory for you, S!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Gave up looking for that rock’n’roll album for now but just found this nice combo:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Gave up looking for that rock’n’roll album for now but just found this nice combo:

This is a nice album especially since most of the songs have either Jimmy or Jim soloing first, than Zoot, than the other "Jim".

Zoot between Two Jims. (a better name for this album).

User Info Menu

Zoot & Bucky!