The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Not a guitarist, but often played with some pretty good ones,
    Joey Defrancesco Cause Of Death? What Happened To Joey Defrancesco?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joey D. was a natural and consummate musician. He is one of my favorite all-time musicians and his music will be sadly missed. RIP, brother. Your voice brought light to our darkening world.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Joey D. was a natural and consummate musician. He is one of my favorite all-time musicians and his music will be sadly missed. RIP, brother. Your voice brought light to our darkening world.
    Marinero
    And he was truly the pride of Philadelphia - a native son who was at the top of his game on the world’s stage for decades. May his family find peace with their loss!

User Info Menu

Lucky to have seen him a few times. No one I've seen before or since could touch him on that organ.

User Info Menu

Nobody loved playing more than Joey D.
    What a loss!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    Lucky to have seen him a few times. No one I've seen before or since could touch him on that organ.
    Hi, C,
    I saw Joey live in '18 at Joe Segal's Jazz Showcase before I left Chicago for warmer climes. It was a packed house and we sat on stage next to Joey thanks to Wayne, Joe's son, whom I knew during my playing days in Chi. Joey also played trumpet at that gig and had a beautiful tone and, of course, improvisations. It was one of the best live concerts I've attended. You'll be missed, Joey!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Geez, this is so sad.........

User Info Menu

A terrible loss.

From NPR

"Born in Springfield, Pa. on April 10, 1971, Joseph DeFrancesco came to music as a birthright. His father, known as "Papa" John DeFrancesco, played organ on the Philadelphia jazz scene; his grandfather and namesake, Joseph DeFrancesco, had played saxophone and clarinet during the swing era of the 1930s, in upstate New York. His older brother, Johnny, is a blues guitarist."

User Info Menu

Yeah, Sudden Adult Death is a bitch....

RIP Joey, I love your playing!

User Info Menu

Terrible news. RIP. Condolences to his loved ones.

User Info Menu

This is a great loss. RIP

User Info Menu

A huge loss. RIP to an extremely talented musician.

User Info Menu

He could swing and groove like nobody. Seemed like a real nice guy too! A real bummer!

User Info Menu

This guy was world class on organ, trumpet, and sax. Huge loss to the jazz field, his family and loved ones. Prayers sent.

User Info Menu

Thx JD! You’re music will be truly missed!

User Info Menu

Heard him a couple of years ago at Dizzy's in NYC.

Organ, guitar, drums. Joey also played trumpet and sang.

It was a great show. I recall that they played Sentimental Journey, after which Joey asked the audience if anybody knew the name of the tune. Quite a few did.

His reputation was that of a musician's musician.

RIP.

User Info Menu

What a legend, the greatest. An organist I play with who was a friend of his got the call from JD'S wife that night. Massive heart attack, he was around 400 lbs.

User Info Menu

So sad. A master, one-of-a-kind, a shining light. RIP Joey and deepest sympathy to the family, the musicians, and the fans...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

RIP, Joey.