The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

So there is George Benson, but he sings in a more R&B like way. I hear Gabor Szabo sing “Bang Bang(My Baby S hot Me Down)” before but usually he does not sing. I mean guitar players that can sing in a way like Frank Sinatra or Johnny Hartman can. There are guys who can sing and play piano such as Harry Connick Jr and Nat King Cole. How about someone for guitar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

John Pizzarelli.

User Info Menu

Yeah, John is the man when it comes to that. He's also a fantastic, old school, born entertainer.

User Info Menu

Here is a thread about this topic:

Singing jazz guitarists

btw about George Benson, he is one of the greatest, his (non jazz music) sound a bit more like soul than R&B for me. His contribution, - just as singer - is way bigger than Marvin Gaye's and Frank Sinatra's together despite the masses who idolize the latter two. I do know, El Jarreau and Bobby McFerrin are geniuses, but there is only one singer I can listen any time, any condition an unlimited way, and this is Benson, who's music goes staight to my heart, bypassing my brain.

Probably slightly out of topic, but Kurt Rosenwinkel almost always sings along his gitar playing in a clear an expressive musical way, even the most complex lines.
    Last edited by Gabor; 08-26-2022 at 08:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell, occasionally.

User Info Menu

Marty Grosz
    Matt Munisteri

User Info Menu

Torsten Goods

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMetro
    So there is George Benson, but he sings in a more R&B like way. I hear Gabor Szabo sing “Bang Bang(My Baby S hot Me Down)” before but usually he does not sing. I mean guitar players that can sing in a way like Frank Sinatra or Johnny Hartman can. There are guys who can sing and play piano such as Harry Connick Jr and Nat King Cole. How about someone for guitar?
    Elenora Strino and Jocelyn Gould both play and sing. As vocalists I have to give the edge to Jocelyn.

User Info Menu

Whit Smith.

User Info Menu

Sacha Distel

User Info Menu

Frank D'Rone

User Info Menu

Pedro Martins

User Info Menu

Our own Jim Soloway put out a CD on which he played guitar and sang; the cover art shows the headstock of a guitar with a bass tuner added for the lowest string. I found it on eBay while browsing around for Soloway guitars.

User Info Menu

Joni Mitchell?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wow, Burrell

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMetro
    Chico Pinheiro sings.

Howard Alden sang a couple the one time I saw him. I don't think he thinks of himself as a singer, but it can be a good idea in a long otherwise instrumental show.

User Info Menu

I’ve heard Mike Stern sing in a couple of tunes live. Not necessarily words but clearly singing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Kenny Burrell, occasionally.

Very beautiful. He had a great voice!

User Info Menu

Destinytot!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Chico Pinheiro sings.
    oh yeah, Chico sounds great on vocals

Along with Pedro. Tbh I think it’s a Brazilian thing? The style of music suits an untutored light vocal style, famously… there’s no need to be Tony Bennett to sing this stuff well…

User Info Menu

Thank god that Pinheiro group can play in time with each other. It would just take one of them to go out and the whole thing would be a really serious car crash. I was nervous just listening to it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Thank god that Pinheiro group can play in time with each other.
    This is not going to be a problem lol

you do realise this is a bit like saying ‘thank god the London symphony orchestra can play a c major scale in tune, otherwise they would really struggle with the Mahler, I got really nervous listening to the first violins’

The thing is, some people are really good at music, and we can trust them to get on with it haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Torsten Goods
    Just back from a Torsten Goods gig in a gorgeously intimate little venue in the Mourne Mountains. He's a very good singer and has buckets of personality. Super guitarist of course...