The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Outstanding solo over "Cherokee":

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pretty beast in the style of Jaco. Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Pretty beast in the style of Jaco. Good stuff.
    Very intersting guitarist-gypsy jazz guitarsit playing Jaco style stuff.
    Birelli and Jaco played together.

User Info Menu

I've seen him Live in Warsaw, with full "Tribute to Jaco" program. Absolutley killer. I know a lot of pro bass players which want to have his articulation
    That was exactly this:

User Info Menu

That level of talent is unfathomable.

User Info Menu

What a great sound.

Makes my feeble attempts to play bass seem laughable.

I don’t think that is THE Jaco bass, since the wear patterns are in different places, but it is the same model he played.

User Info Menu

Gee I already have a fretless but still ordered a petite bouche to get his sound, I could have saved some money /s

He’s in the “you can play a shoestring if you’re sincere” club. Thanks for sharing this great music!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I don’t think that is THE Jaco bass, since the wear patterns are in different places, but it is the same model he played.
    It's most likely a replica. The flawless fretboard is a sign.

Fender Custom Shop Jaco Pastorius Relic Jazz Bass 3-Color Sunburst | Guitar Center

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Very intersting guitarist-gypsy jazz guitarsit playing Jaco style stuff.
    Birelli and Jaco played together.
    No slouch on violin either:
    ( begins 3:09 ). Not sure I would limit him to 'gypsy jazz guitarist' though Kris - he does it all!

Stand up bass/contrabasse here (from 1:36 secs)

Blues an a Strat here:

Stella by Starlight

Even tackles Sinatra:

Stunning performer - seen him four times here in France - totally professional and bemused that he remains largely unknown outside these shores.

David

User Info Menu

I read somewhere too that he had pretty well all of Django's repertoire down by the time he was 14ans at the Montreux festival. Some interesting background here for those unfamiliar with him.

Bireli Lagrene: Return to Django - JazzTimes

Finally, nice take on So What with Italian player Giuseppe Continenza............

Sorry Kris - did not intend to hi-jack your post!

David

User Info Menu

Anyone see this latest one yet? Stunning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    ( begins 3:09 ). Not sure I would limit him to 'gypsy jazz guitarist' though Kris - he does it all!

Blues an a Strat here:

Stella by Starlight

Even tackles Sinatra:

Stunning performer - seen him four times here in France - totally professional and bemused that he remains largely unknown outside these shores.

David
    He's been on the road and toured everywhere since very young. I've seen his name on billboards in Moscow and Istanbul. I saw him in New York. But I think I know what you mean. He's a genius, clearly underrated compared to a few others who are, well, a tad overrated IMO.

User Info Menu

Blues an a Strat here:

Stella by Starlight

Even tackles Sinatra:

David
    Maybe it's better that way. People are suffering from low self-esteem all over. This guy would just push them over the edge...

User Info Menu

Blues an a Strat here:

Stella by Starlight

Even tackles Sinatra:

David
    I had the opportunity to play a concert in front of Birelli's band.
    He didn't play gypsy jazz stuff at a concert ...
    I meant the roots of his previous interests, which he also pursues to this day in various bands / ala Django /.A very nice person.

https://jazz.pl/era-jazzu/grappeling-trio/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I had the opportunity to play a concert in front of Birelli's band.
    He didn't play gypsy jazz stuff at a concert ...
    I meant the roots of his previous interests, which he also pursues to this day in various bands / ala Django /.A very nice person.

Grappeling Trio - Era Jazzu
    Kris,

What an honour - I am sure you rose to the occasion! Of course, you are right about his roots and he does play some manouche material these days, but in essence he has become something else altogether. He plays distinct concerts over here with the Gypsy Jazz Project but at big festivals like Marciac he takes a much broader approach.

David

User Info Menu

Bireli has the cheat codes for sure

User Info Menu

David
    At least some of the American big names have met him and could sing his praise

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zbig
    I've seen him Live in Warsaw, with full "Tribute to Jaco" program. Absolutley killer. I know a lot of pro bass players which want to have his articulation
    That was exactly this:
    This is one of my favorite Bireli videos on YouTube – from the same Warsaw festival, but two years earlier and on guitar. Bireli seems to like those Yamaha Pacificas with two humbuckers (800 $/€ range) and here in this traditional gypsy setting with two guitars and a double bass he makes extensive use of the whammy bar – something rather unusual for a jazz guitarist – to play some virtuso Western Swing steel guitar stuff:

I've also seen him four times in the SF Bay Area, over the past 30 years. In his fusion and gypsy styles, but unfortunately not yet playing classic jazz on electric guitars live. As far as I'm concerned, there's really no one like him. He can play pretty much any style, any number of instruments (he dabbles on piano and saxophone too), sings, and just seems to have music pumping through his veins. It's like almost anything he can imagine can pour out of his fingers.

I have purchased most of his discs, and scoured his youtube performances for decades, where some of his best work is hidden. So many different instruments, styles, other great and brilliant people he's played with - often for just short term gigs.

To me, it boils down to his versatility, inventiveness, sense of humor, and playing with feeling. Equally good on acoustic or electric guitar. Here's a few of his videos in different styles that I've listened to recently.