The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It just occurred to me that I don’t recall ever seeing his name on JGO. He takes things in new and different directions, and I like his style. Yes, I searched the site.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great player! He’s been in Japan for several years, touring, doing workshops and giving lessons. He’s done several tribute shows, too, most recently on the compositions of Charlie Parker. I caught him live a few times in his duo on small club tours in my neck of the woods.
    Last edited by JazzPadd; 07-29-2022 at 09:40 PM.

User Info Menu

His 2000 album 'The Music of Bud Powell' is killer. Not easy to find on CD now, but it is on streaming services.

User Info Menu

I've been a huge fan of JB for a long time, and I'm sure I've mentioned him on this site. His Norlin era L5ces and his Yamaha amp generate a very distinctive sound that I can usually ID within a few notes when a track of his comes through my headset.

User Info Menu

A great player AND a nice guy. A friend on Facebook and always send me birthday wishes even though he doesn't know me from Adam.

User Info Menu

for reasons unknown to me he always flew under the radar, but I bought his first lp on Contemporary when it came out in '87, "Echoes" w/ Pepper Adams and Kenny Barron

User Info Menu

Thanks for reminding me about him, I haven't listened in years. Will have to pull out the CDs.

User Info Menu

He was listed as an entry in Maurice Summerfield's book about jazz guitarists, but I don't think have ever actually heard him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    A great player AND a nice guy. A friend on Facebook and always send me birthday wishes even though he doesn't know me from Adam.
    Second that. He has engaged with me in conversation on several occasions on FB. I have his book of study solos and have asked questions about them, and he has always been generous with information. A splendid person and a wonderful bop-influenced but not bop-dominated player. His latest recordings with a cello in the ensemble were brilliant.