Tim Lerch and Bruce Forman.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My gosh that passage at 14:00!

User Info Menu

It's a 350 fest!
    Nice to see Bruce playing Barney's guitar

User Info Menu

Bruce posts on YouTube almost every day with that guitar. First Chorus Of The Day. He used the Sonntag before he got Barney's guitar, which he has been using since, at least in all the videos I've seen. He seems quite smitten by it, no idea why.

User Info Menu

I can't imagine what it feels like to be playing on that guitar. I wouldn't be able to concentrate on my playing.

User Info Menu

Allegedly when it was Barney's, he used very heavy strings and high action so that people wouldn't ask to use his (unplayable for most people) guitar. Don't know if it's true and, if so, sure didn't slow him down!

User Info Menu

The videos I've seen of Barney, with that guitar, mostly with The Great Guitars, sound like very low action. There is fret slap in most of them, at least that's what I think I hear. His comparatively thin tone also sounds like light gauge strings. But all I have to base that on is the videos. I could well be wrong.

User Info Menu

I read that he used heavy gauge round wounds with at least a .14 on top

User Info Menu

Nice video for a mythic guitar.

A friend if mine followed a guitar clinic with Barney in the ‘90s and he had the opportunity to try his ES-350. He told me the E 1st string was 0.015.

Best and take care.

User Info Menu

Barney seemed to favor higher action or at least bigger strings for sure. He was a master at setting the chord-melody as a complete orchestral arrangement. My only thing was he did get sloppy and time with single lines and to me not always fluid. However the great thing about was that was his signature sound. You knew it was Barney in the first few notes.

User Info Menu

Fred Archtop wins the prize!

Barney along with Tal definitely used 15/20 as the top strings. I still have in my L5 case a sticky note with “15/20!!!” Written on it during my first lesson with Tal. (Coming from 13s I was in shock)))
    He knew Barney did and was pretty sure Wes did too, although that wasn’t confirmed.
    Tal had a visit he had scheduled with Wes for two weeks after Wes passed, never got to meet him.

All about the thunk! After a long while I was able to make the switch. They do sound great, but best have a muscle or two in your left hand! Used them right up till my accident.

jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Fred Archtop wins the prize!

Barney along with Tal definitely used 15/20 as the top strings. I still have in my L5 case a sticky note with “15/20!!!” Written on it during my first lesson with Tal. (Coming from 13s I was in shock)))
    He knew Barney did and was pretty sure Wes did too, although that wasn’t confirmed.
    Tal had a visit he had scheduled with Wes for two weeks after Wes passed, never got to meet him.

All about the thunk! After a long while I was able to make the switch. They do sound great, but best have a muscle or two in your left hand! Used them right up till my accident.

jk
    In light of that quote he made about Tal, maybe it was better off they didn't meet!

User Info Menu

So this is not a "gee look what I just found" thread?