The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Here's Chris Whiteman and his organ trio playing the classic "You Don't Know What Love Is" Chris is a very lyrical, emotive player and one of the finest guitarists playing Jazz today. It looks like he's playing a 60's ES125T and his fat, lyrical guitar voice is a jewel among the hordes of play fast Jazz bangers on the scene today . . . and, he is a member of our Forum. 10 Stars, Chris! Beautiful playing.
    Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just masterful (IMHO)!

User Info Menu

Sweet !

User Info Menu

And a young one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    And a young one!
    Ouch, somewhere Duke Ellington is rolling over in his grave.

User Info Menu

Good grief.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Here's Chris Whiteman and his organ trio playing the classic "You Don't Know What Love Is" Chris is a very lyrical, emotive player and one of the finest guitarists playing Jazz today. It looks like he's playing a 60's ES125T and his fat, lyrical guitar voice is a jewel among the hordes of play fast Jazz bangers on the scene today . . . and, he is a member of our Forum. 10 Stars, Chris! Beautiful playing.
    Marinero
    There really is nowhere else on the world wide web but this forum where you can find such marvellous things, every day.

User Info Menu

Chris has perfected what for many people here IS jazz-guitar playing. I love the tones he gets from a variety of guitars, and his phrasing, note choices too. He always makes me smile.

User Info Menu

I wasn't sidetracking the thread to disparage Veronica Swift. That was Chris playing guitar for her in that video. He played with her at the Hollywood Bowl and a bunch of other gigs recently. I was pointing out that he was not just an "old soul" but he also had a "young soul" as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I wasn't sidetracking the thread to disparage Veronica Swift. That was Chris playing guitar for her in that video. He played with her at the Hollywood Bowl and a bunch of other gigs recently. I was pointing out that he was not just an "old soul" but he also had a "young soul" as well.
    My sincere apologies. I was ignorant of, among other things, that it was Chris there as well. He looks and sounds so different! I honestly looked at the video when it was posted and asked myself if it was the same guitarist, and my brain concluded it wasn't, hah!

I interpreted it as a non sequitur, where if old soul=good then young soul=bad, or some kind of "bad interpretation of the classics, unlike Chris". I think I unfairly lumped you in because of the "Ellington rolling over in his grave" and "good grief" comments that followed. Apologies again. Carry on!