The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On Apple Music, there is a Cannonball Adderley album called "Midnight Mood" and has a track, "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy."

I'm wondering who the guitarist is?

Also, there's got to be some mistake here as Apple Music lists the album year as 1955 but this recording has got to be later.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzgtr
    On Apple Music, there is a Cannonball Adderley album called "Midnight Mood" and has a track, "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy."

I'm wondering who the guitarist is?

Also, there's got to be some mistake here as Apple Music lists the album year as 1955 but this recording has got to be later.
    The only Midnight Mood I know of by Cannonball is a track on the album Radio Nights. That album does not include Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, so Apple Music may have made a mistake. I don’t know of any Adderley recording of MMM that has a guitar in the band. Please let us know if you get to the bottom of this.

User Info Menu

Are you talking about this album (I can see it in the itunes store)? It seems to be a rather random compilation of some sort. I don’t think all the tracks are by Adderley (track 4 is some guy talking about how to play a Cannonball lick or something!).

The guitar on Mercy Mercy sounds much more recent than Adderley’s period, has a sort of ‘processed’ sound.

Help ID this guitarist-3f438fd9-ffcc-4084-80b7-41c988d79ea3-jpeg

User Info Menu

That album is pretty bizarre, if you google the title of track 5 you find this youtube video, and it has exactly the same audio as track 5 on the album! (Starts with people talking, then a very lo-fi recording of the music).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Are you talking about this album (I can see it in the itunes store)?
    From the iTunes site: "In iTunes, a 'compilation' album is one with each track by a different artist." They assemble their own "albums" - that's not an Adderley release.

User Info Menu

Track 4 comes from this youtube video, how odd.

User Info Menu

The picture, drawn by Peter Gourfain, is taken from the cover of Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago, the 1960 Mercury album.

SecondHandSongs lists 169 versions of Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, including a guitar version by Howard Roberts. The Buckinghams added lyrics:

User Info Menu

Ah, the joys of iTunes, Spotify, etc. Anyone can put together an "album from various tracks and sell it, pretending to be a record producer/label. Seems likely no of the musicians on those tracks will be compensated. They are the Lucky Ducky of the entertainment world (Ruben Bolling reference, for those who don't know).