The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

For those that don't know about this show - The Alternative Guitar Summit in Woodstock NY next month. Quite the lineup!

Alternative Guitar Summit 2022 - Woodstock Edition - Bearsville Theater

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds great. Hope it's not a Fyre Island event!

User Info Menu

Is anyone from the forum going to this? I'll be there and it'd be nice to know if there are any Forum members I can meet in person.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Sounds great. Hope it's not a Fyre Island event!
    Are any influencers going?

User Info Menu

I will be at the Full Moon resort the night before this event, working as roadie for a video shoot. I'm very excited to see some of my guitar heroes!

User Info Menu

Aren’t all these long established players in their 50s and 60s the mainstream now? Who is really an “alternative” jazz guitarist?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxsmith
    Aren’t all these long established players in their 50s and 60s the mainstream now? Who is really an “alternative” jazz guitarist?
    Julian Lage, Gilad Hekselman and Isaiah Sharkey gave very fresh insights, master classes and performances that demonstrated a very alternative direction to what is seen as mainstream. And Bill Frisell, though he did get a Grammy for his work, seems to always explore avenues into a music that seems to break new ground, provide an alternative to anything that can be deduced to be codified in his previous work; his spirit of always seeking the alternative is stronger and fresher than ever.
    Maybe it's because I don't see "Alternative" as a label that tarnishes with age or time, but describes a restless spirit that doesn't accept anything, including one's past successes, as a given course to be taken at face value or relied upon by mainstream culture to quell the advancement of the music.
    All the players there continued to break new ground, in ways that are the envy of any of younger players who are still struggling to find what mainstream even is.
    Of course would I like to see Max Light, or Joe Morris on the roster next year? Oh yeah.
    We ask what qualifies as alternative when it's still so difficult to identify what players are even trying to catch within the confines of ...whose? concept of mainstream.

User Info Menu

I suppose when even the most popular jazz guitarists are known and listened to by less than .5% of the public, we’re all “alternative”.

At this point, pretty much any artist that plays a guitar, or any other instrument, is rapidly becoming the “alternative”…

User Info Menu

It's an interesting point maxsmith. I think at one point, the music, the audience, the expectations and the language was more homogenized. There were certain figures that, although they didn't get financial recognition, were seen as the keepers of the flame.
    We know the names for that genre and I think it's by that standard that any notion of alternative is used. Maybe. But yeah, anyone who plays jazz or any improvised music (outside of jam bands) is pretty safely an unknown alternative.

User Info Menu

Well, regardless where those aforementioned gentlemen stand in regards to the mainstream, I love and respect them all and admire their tenacity and dedication to an original and personal voice. Just hearing them has made me a better musician and happier human.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    It's an interesting point maxsmith. I think at one point, the music, the audience, the expectations and the language was more homogenized. There were certain figures that, although they didn't get financial recognition, were seen as the keepers of the flame.
    We know the names for that genre and I think it's by that standard that any notion of alternative is used. Maybe. But yeah, anyone who plays jazz or any improvised music (outside of jam bands) is pretty safely an unknown alternative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxsmith
    Plenty younger players doing interesting things with guitars, but perhaps they are too alternative for some – those who mutter about Julian Lage being too far out and too far gone, since he went to Blue Note and released that new album.