The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Carles Benavent, Paco, Jorge Pardo (flute). Intro is Guindilla / All the things... from Carles' album Agüita Que Corre, which morphs (rather nicely) into Paco's classic sig. tune. I've seen Carles play a 6 string electric guitar close-up in a store and can testify that he was completely at home on that instrument, flat pick an' all. This is more like Rumba-Jazz with Paco experimenting with some interesting departures from the original. Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

CB might has well be playing a 6 string guitar on that intro. Incredible!
    I've just gotten hip to the Latin stuff that Steve Winwood has been doing. His guitarist is Jose Neto.
    Have you ever heard of him? He's Brazilian.

User Info Menu

I've always been highly appreciative of Steve Winwood and feel that the best guitarist for him is himself. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I've always been highly appreciative of Steve Winwood and feel that the best guitarist for him is himself. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
    Did he play this solo?
    Simple but magical.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I see the members of Musica Urbana are still around. Jorge Pardo was on flute on that first one you posted, and of course Maestro Carles.
    In that last one you posted, two of the string players are named Amargos, so they're probably Joan's daughters.

Fascinating ensemble, cello,violins, viola, nylon string guitar,percussion and of course Carles on electric bass. Did Carles compose that?
    A lot of great music is coming out of Barcelona. That great jazz school of San Andreu that produced Rita Payés Roma, who's now touring all of Europe.
    While Winwood is a great guitarist in the style of Eric Clapton. I doubt he could play a solo in the style of Jose Neto.
    On the original recording of that though he plays a synthesizer solo (with a kind of electronic oboe sound!) which is just as great as Neto's solo.
    Winwood keeps growing as a musician, while his contemporary rockers are just nostalgia acts.
    Thanks for posting the Benavent pieces!

User Info Menu

"Winwood keeps growing as a musician, while his contemporary rockers are just nostalgia acts."

I haven't been following him since the early stuff and of course the pop played everywhere, but that's an interesting observation by someone whose opinion I respect. I might have to dive into some more recent material, thanks

User Info Menu

Winwood’s synth playing has always been great and very guitaristic somehow. Loved it on John Martyn’s One World

enjoying his Latin stuff.

User Info Menu

I can't confirm whether the violin and viola players are related to Joan (Amargós). Probably.

Yes, I find the ensemble extremely interesting too, and Carles is mentioned as the composer.

Catalan names clarification, if needed: Joan is a male name (Juan, John etc) and AFAIK it would not have been possible to register the name Carles (Carlos) during the dictatorship (>1975), though that was before my time in Spain.

By the way, Latin music is one thing (smooth) and the angular, staccato approach to Flamenco guitar is quite another.