The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Please recommend some contemporary/current jazz guitarists that play mostly '50s and '60s swing and bop, and standards. My favorite jazz players are the old masters...Pass, Montgomery, Christian, Green, Kessel, Ellis, Burrell, Pisano, Raney, Martino, Van Eps, Alden, Smith, Hall, Benson, and many others. I also like horns and small combos and big bands. But for the sake of this discussion I'd appreciate sticking to guitar players.

I'd like to hear current interpretations of the styles of jazz mentioned above. Some examples would be Frank Vignola and Russell Malone, John Pizzerelli, and others. Although some of those branch off into the more progressive styles. But that's OK, I like that too.

In addition to being a musician I'm an audiophile. So I like to listen to really well recorded jazz, instrumental and vocal. Some of the older recordings are wonderful to listen to but some of those recordings also aren't the best recorded. Modern technology has provided us countless examples of extremely well recorded recordings. Yes, that same technology can produce some poorly recorded bloopers. But, for the most part recordings these days are are very well done.

Sorry to say I've immersed myself so much in the older jazz music and players that I've virtually ignored many of the current players. I don't even know the names of many great contemporary guitar players, except for Pat Metheny, John Scofield, John Abercrombie, and just a few others. "Contemporary" is a relative term here as Pat Metheny and the others mentioned above have actually been around for several decades. But I think you know what I mean.

Anyway, let me know of any newer players on the scene I might benefit from listening to. Especially those that, at least loosely, stay within the boundaries of traditional straight ahead jazz. Who should I be listening to?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have some "contemporary" jazz albums available with some of the influences you mentioned ("Daniel DeLorenzo Trio" and "Strive" being the most traditional of the bunch). All of these albums are live recordings with the performers/amps/instruments in the same room, performed live in studio with the intention of capturing performance over perfection. No headphones, no overdubs. The exception being "SomekindaStory" which was recorded in isolation during the covid-19 lockdown.

Here's a Spotify link if you'd like to check them out.

They are also available on Apple Music, Youtube, Bandcamp, or any other streaming service you like.

I've included a short description of each album below:

"K.BYE"
    “K.BYE” marks a return to collaborative recording, emphasis on communicative performance and embracing distinction for Daniel DeLorenzo. The album consists of eight original compositions and a rendition of the Miles Davis standard “Nardis”. Featuring performances by Daniel DeLorenzo (guitar), Gaston Reggio (drums), Robbie Link (bass) and Ben Lassiter (additional guitar on “Flora”).

"Somekindastory"
    2020 presented a unique opportunity to explore an album of “less than live” solo performances and thematic compositions. The “Standards” on this album have been long-time repertoire pieces that hold some closeness to me. These recordings speak to an attempt to use my voice to balance the "live" approach essential to improvised music with having to perform in isolation. The album also explores thematic composition with original pieces influenced by film and dramatic music. Performed and recorded by Daniel DeLorenzo, featuring Jonathan Wiseman (trumpet).

"How Thoughtful"
    Recorded entirely in a single afternoon, “How Thoughtful” represents an effort to record simple songs, in a simple way to embrace live collaboration of performed music! Featuring Daniel DeLorenzo (Guitar), Dave Lora (Bass) , and Doug Sours (Guitar). Written, Recorded, Mixed, and Mastered by Daniel DeLorenzo.

"Strive"
    Blending the rich traditions of jazz guitar with a healthy dose of modern sensibilities “Strive” represents the culmination of efforts to make a traditional jazz recording with a contemporary voice. “Strive” features five original compositions and two arrangements bridging symphonic music with a jazz combo. Featuring: Daniel DeLorenzo (guitar), Theous Jones (drums), Dave Lora (bass), and Doug Sours (additional guitar, tracks 3&7).

"Daniel DeLorenzo Trio"
    A casual get together of friends jamming on standards captured on record. Featuring: Daniel DeLorenzo (guitar), Theous Jones (drums), Able Jones (organ), and Doug Sours (additional guitar, tracks 4&7).
    Last edited by delo054; 07-17-2022 at 06:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Please recommend some contemporary/current jazz guitarists that play mostly '50s and '60s swing and bop, and standards. My favorite jazz players are the old masters...Pass, Montgomery, Christian, Green, Kessel, Ellis, Burrell, Pisano, Raney, Martino, Van Eps, Alden, Smith, Hall, Benson, and many others. I also like horns and small combos and big bands. But for the sake of this discussion I'd appreciate sticking to guitar players.

I'd like to hear current interpretations of the styles of jazz mentioned above. Some examples would be Frank Vignola and Russell Malone, John Pizzerelli, and others. Although some of those branch off into the more progressive styles. But that's OK, I like that too.

Anyway, let me know of any newer players on the scene I might benefit from listening to. Especially those that, at least loosely, stay within the boundaries of traditional straight ahead jazz. Who should I be listening to?
    William Ash
    Sheryl Bailey
    Roni Ben-Hur
    Peter Bernstein
    Bobby Broom
    Alexander Brott
    Ed Cherry
    Joe Cohn
    Linus Eppinger
    Chris Flory
    Bruce Forman
    Pasquale Grasso
    Martijn Van Iterson
    Ofer Landsberg
    Jim Mullen
    Matt Munisteri
    Randy Napoleon
    Colin Oxley
    Nigel Price
    Greg Ruggiero
    Jesse Van Ruller
    Jonathan Stout
    Last edited by David B; 07-17-2022 at 09:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Sheryl Bailey
    Alessio Menconi
    Andy Brown
    Nigel Price

Wow! You guys are awesome!! Some great recommendations. And, Frank B, the only name I recognize on your list is Peter Bernstein. And that's good! I'm anxious to do some serious listening.

User Info Menu

Ulf Karl Erik Wakenius (born 16 April 1958) is a Swedish jazz guitarist, known as a member of Oscar Peterson's.

User Info Menu

Russell Malone
    Cecil Alexander
    Dan Wilson

come immediately to mind if we are including currently active straightahead players that I don’t think anyone has included.

If we are including UK players - Dave Warren

There’s a lorry load of very good UK straightahead players atm esp younger ones - the jazz guitar scene is pretty happening in London atm.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 07-18-2022 at 04:32 AM.

User Info Menu

If you like Jimmy Raney, check out his son Doug (unfortunately died a few years ago), he made a lot of really good straight-ahead jazz guitar records.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    There’s a lorry load of very UK straightahead players atm esp younger ones - the jazz guitar scene is pretty happening in London atm.
    Absolutely! Not all have recorded yet, but I've tried to capture a picture of the current London and UK jazz guitar scene in this Spotify playlist: Unsupported browser

PS, the original poster should also check out Christian Miller's album, 'Anansi Blues', linked in his post above!

User Info Menu

Also in the UK, Jim Mullen of course (still going strong!)

User Info Menu

- Kurt Rosenwinkel's any recording where he plays standards. Great, and easy to understand

- Kreisberg's any recording where he plays ballads. The heads are usually incredible and unique, still faithful to the original. Impros are not everyone cup of tea

- Bernstein's any standards recordings. Be warned, not easy to get it for first listening.

- Bobby Broom. Start with chord melody standards, or drum, bass trio settings. He is literally breathtaking when rendering a standard in those settings.

- Jesse van Ruller, really underrated on this forum.
    Last edited by Gabor; 07-18-2022 at 05:29 AM.

User Info Menu

I came to the conclusion, that music lovers and audiophiles are mutually exclusive... :-).

Yes I hear what - you audiophiles - think, but I have my reasons. I was there :-).

I know there are excellent quality recordings with excellent artists. But there are way more excellent recordings with mediocre artists, and similarly there are ten times more not so excellent recordings with excellent artists, I mean must listen.

So a man must decide what to priorize. I you want both you stuck with a minor subset.

If you bet on audiophil then you wide your possibilities, but will end missing the majority of real music value. I you bet on music (my choice) you must leave audiphile perfectionism (and snobism) behind.

If you are an audiophile and proud to your ear, take this:

a) are your ear so good, you can seamlessly extract real information a noisy or other way degraded audio information? If yes, then you are free to listen anyone you want.

b) are your ear and musical listening experience so advanced, that you can imagine and recreate even some of the missing information? If yes then you are free to listen any recording you want.

User Info Menu

He’s been mentioned but I’ll say it again
    Bruce Forman

He recently released a Great Album (studio recorded) using Barney Kessel’s guitar and amp.

You won’t find much more authentic to your requirements.
    EMike.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    If we are including UK players - Dave Warren
    Saw Dave Warren leading an organ trio last night at The 606. He's so good. I wish audiences got more opportunities to hear him.

I filmed a couple of clips for Dave, which he has shared on YouTube.

'Puttin' On the Ritz'

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YJSiZ4hDrW8

'Night Mist Blues' (Dave's solo)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EJ1FxN-_jmI

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola
    Howard Alden
    Jimmy Bruno
    James Chirillo
    Ken Smith
    Matt Munisteri
    Henry Acker
    Dennis Pol

User Info Menu

That's a bit unnecessarily confrontational, Gabor. I think you created a false dichotomy there; all the folks I know that might qualify as audiophiles also really enjoy and listen to the music in an informed manner. The point of all of that high dollar, fancy equipment is to hear the recording and the intent of the artist better.

User Info Menu

check out Jocelyn Gould, i just heard her on Sirius Real jazz. Up & coming, plays straight ahead.

User Info Menu

Might have been missed here because he plays a lot of electric jazz and fusion stuff, but as of listening to this album, Adam Rogers is also in fact one of my favourite straight ahead players. The detail in his articulation and his sense of swing and line are unbelievable.