The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

As discussed in a recent thread, many years ago I got some videos from somewhere of Jimmy Raney and Cal Collins at a gig in Louisville, Kentucky in 1987. I can't remember now where I got them, it was so long ago. A couple of tunes from the gig are on youtube already, but I have the whole lot (nearly 2 hours). Although the picture quality is not good, I thought it would be worth posting it as there is not much film of these guys. (I've tried to enhance the image a bit but there wasn't much to work with!)

Anyway here's part 1 - tune listing is in the youtube description.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Part 2:

User Info Menu

Graham, you're a genius! That's the one, I remember it.

What do you think we should do about Jon Raney? I can get the right address for him. I suppose if you made a DVD you could send it to him. Would you mind the expense?

Alternatively he could grab those two from YouTube if he knows how to do it. Or he might want the whole 2 hour show on one disc. I don't know, I'd have to ask him. Or I could give you his email address and you could get in touch yourself.

Got any ideas? Maybe the simplest thing would simply be to point out to him that they're back on YouTube and after that it would be up to him.

User Info Menu

Well I see he has a ‘contact me’ page on his website, you could ask him. If he wants the whole lot I can put the video files on wetransfer and post the link on that contact page.

User Info Menu

OK. I actually have his personal email.

BTW, what's wetransfer?

User Info Menu

It’s a site where you can upload large files and get a link, which someone else can download them from. The files stay up for 7 days.

User Info Menu

We're cross-posting, it's obviously so exciting

Let me ask him and see what he says. I won't commit you to anything.

User Info Menu

Ok. uploading the files and sending the link to his email is easy, I don’t mind doing that at all.

User Info Menu

I've already given him all the links (to YT and wetransfer) so it's in his court now. Thanks. I'm sure he'll be delighted.

I was wrong about CC sitting on a higher stool. It just looks that way coz he's bigger :-)

User Info Menu

No he can’t just go to wetransfer, I have to put it there first. In fact I can’t do it that way, I have checked and it seems none of the transfer sites allow such large files as far as I can see (e.g. box, dropbox etc).

I think the files were about 6-8 GB each.

His best bet is to use one of those youtube downloader things.

Sorry about that, I didn’t realise all the free transfer sites have those limits (I’ve never used them for such large videos before).

User Info Menu

OK, not to worry, I'll just tell him it's all your fault...

No prob, I'll just put him straight, correct the misunderstanding, and we'll be back to normal. Wait...

User Info Menu

OK, I've sent this to him:

Jon -
    Hope you haven't seen the last email yet, I'm afraid the 'wetransfer' idea won't work because the files are too big, they won't accept them. Apparently, despite their claim to process 'large files', they nevertheless have definite limits, which is a shame.
    So it's back to YouTube and downloading from there. Are you okay with that?

Should be okay, not that there's much choice :-)

User Info Menu

Yes he might as well download them from youtube. I was trying to output the files at the maximum quality, knowing that youtube compresses them when you upload.

But even if I put them on DVDs, the files would have to be compressed to fit, and would probably be no better quality than the youtube version.

In any case, the videos were never great quality to begin with, so what you see on youtube doesn’t look any different to me to the files on my computer.

User Info Menu

Well, he'll have a record of the show which I'm sure will be fine. All those old vids don't really translate very well to DVD. I've got a bunch of old movies and TV shows that still look fuzzy even with professional remastering by the production companies.

Strange thing, the audio's always pretty clear, almost untouched. And, as it's music we're dealing with here, that's what counts, I'd say.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for uploading this footage Graham! Jimmy Raney's my main man on guitar so any footage of him is a treat and almost two hours of it has made my day!

User Info Menu

Thanks David, yes I love Jimmy Raney’s playing too. I’m fascinated watching his left hand in some of the close-up shots, it seems to glide over the frets as if his fingers aren’t touching the strings.

User Info Menu

Graham, Jon Raney has got back and said getting the vids from YouTube is no prob. Or, as he put it, np :-)

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

Thanks for unearthing the great clip and posting it GrahamBop.

I would've like to have been the person to save the day but at least its up for everyone to enjoy again.

That series of clips was uploaded by somebody way back when before I even started posting my own clips (the Autumn Leaves for example). There was also the great version of These Foolish Things. So would love to get the various tunes back up. Not sure why it was taken down - given Jamey is pretty open about stuff that he has.

As discussed with ragman have the original VHS but its probably super pixelated as you all know. The DVD version is ok but my clunky techniques resulted in a completely out of sync version May give that handbrake app a go.

gotta go. Keep listening to them Raneys. Spoiler alert. For Doug's Birthday going to post some live links to a glorious concert he did in 1997

cheers
    Last edited by RaneyJR; 07-06-2022 at 12:25 PM.