The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What is this thing in the lower f-hole of Pat Metheny's Gibson ES-175?-metheny175-jpg
    There seems to be something placed int he lower f-hole. Does anyone know what it is?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

...and what about the toothbrush?

User Info Menu

That's a dental floss dispenser. Long ago he found out that it's not enough to make inspired music, a great smile can be the secret to success.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wrogsprit
    There seems to be something placed int he lower f-hole. Does anyone know what it is?
    An internal AMT microphone.

User Info Menu

Could be for some kind of internal/contact mic maybe? He has also fitted it onto some more recent guitars.

What is this thing in the lower f-hole of Pat Metheny's Gibson ES-175?-43fd044b-dbc1-4365-900d-63e0249eed2b-jpeg

What is this thing in the lower f-hole of Pat Metheny's Gibson ES-175?-ac2b6076-949d-4391-bf87-e5afe249c27a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Coincidentally, I came across this ten minutes ago:

Smiling and picking.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

he oughta have a comb hanging from that guitar somewhere

User Info Menu

That's a condenser microphone, heard him many time recently and during live concerts you can hear the mic sound...i think he did it for dynamic!

Actually from what I heard he loves old jazz guitars and on those types of guitar you can hear the acoustic sound of the instrument thru the pickup and maybe the reason why he uses the microphone is also to have that kind of thing that with the new insturments/pickups you can't have.