The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I've had this for some years, it is a live recording of at least two guitar players doing Just Friends with a band.

Can identify the guitar players on the recording?

I'm pretty sure I got it from Youtube and I'm pretty sure it's relatively famous ... at least in the jazz guitar world. In other words, known guitar players.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My immediate thought is that it's Cal Collins and Jimmy Raney. There was at one time a video of them playing Just Friends on YouTube. It's gone now, but there is still a clip of them playing Autumn Leaves from the same show.

User Info Menu

I agree with David, it’s Cal Collins and Jimmy Raney.

I think these are the details, but as David says, the video has gone for some reason:

Jazz video: Just Friends

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    My immediate thought is that it's Cal Collins and Jimmy Raney. There was at one time a video of them playing Just Friends on YouTube. It's gone now, but there is still a clip of them playing Autumn Leaves from the same show.
    That was quick.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I agree with David, it’s Cal Collins and Jimmy Raney.

I think these are the details, but as David says, the video has gone for some reason:

Jazz video: Just Friends
    So the first solo is Cal Collins?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jobabrinks
    So the first solo is Cal Collins?
    Yes first solo is Cal.

Jimmy Raney’s solo starts at 2:48.

User Info Menu

I remember that video! They were all playing in a club, good energy, not very good picture quality, lots of orangey browns, Cal to the left on a higher stool, I think... you're right, it's gone.

User Info Menu

Actually I think I might have some more of these videos on a DVD somewhere. I can’t remember where they came from, I think I possibly got them online from someone many years ago. Unfortunately the video quality was pretty poor as I recall, so I haven’t looked at them for years.

I might try and have a look for it, see what’s on there.

User Info Menu

I've asked about it on the Jimmy Raney website. Waiting...

User Info Menu

He (Jon Raney) remembers that video and he's got it on a CD. He said he'd take it from the CD and post it (presumably on his website). Watch this space.

The Raney Legacy – Devoted to the music of Jimmy, Doug and Jon Raney

User Info Menu

Jon Raney has found the DVD but apparently the sound is out of sync with the picture, possibly a fault of the original, possibly as a result of the transfer to DVD from video. Anyway, he's working on it. He wants to fix it as much for his own sake as ours.

Keep watching.
    Last edited by ragman1; 06-19-2022 at 09:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Well I found the DVD I was looking for, turns out I have the whole concert. The sound is reasonably ok, but the picture is low quality, I suppose I could try and enhance it a bit.

Seeing as there is so little footage of Jimmy Raney out there, I guess I could put it on youtube.

User Info Menu

Great. Even better, if the sound/picture is in sync on your version, you could also offer a copy to Jon Raney. What do you think?

User Info Menu

Yeah I don’t mind, but I really want to try and improve the image quality first. What I have looks like an “Nth-generation” VHS copy, I don’t think it's even as good as that Autumn Leaves clip that is on youtube.

My video editor has some good enhancement options, so I’ll play around with it. If I get it on youtube eventually, Jon could have a look then and see if he wants a copy.