The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like Bill Frisell style play a lot so I will take any advice from him without any problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    fantastic advice but also it’s good to see the stuff I’ve been thinking about has some reference to how he thinks. Maybe I’m getting somewhere with this?

it is really an internal thing. So true.

Not judging yourself in the moment is huge.

User Info Menu

What? No transcribe transcribe transcribe? Maybe that's because he can't.
    Ha ha, not seriously though. I love his advice.
    I once heard him advise his sidemen: If there's anywhere where you can see yourself going, Don't.
    That one has stuck with me for many years since.

User Info Menu

Nothing to add to his wise words, just an Eric Dolphy quote I love that I think supports them:

“When you hear music, after it’s over, it’s gone in the air. You can never capture it again.”

oh yes, lots of wisdom in these tips, to my surprise haha!

User Info Menu

Loved the article, perfectly in time with my re-visiting Kenny Werner's books and seminars!

User Info Menu

Woah’ that's one of the best pieces of advice I've heard in a long time... It kinda reminds me of Mick Goodrick's tips in the advancing guitarist... Did they actually play together?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mheton
    Woah’ that's one of the best pieces of advice I've heard in a long time... It kinda reminds me of Mick Goodrick's tips in the advancing guitarist... Did they actually play together?
    They did, a lot. Bill studied with Mick, and Paul Motian used Bill and Mick interchangibly when he had his trio with Joe Lovano. If Bill couldn't make it, Mick would do the tour (or date). He said other than him, there was noone else.
    Also there were times when one or the other of Marc Johnson's guitarists (Sco and Bill) couldn't make it. Mick was the first call, so Bill and Mick worked together then too.
    Mick says he worked hard to earn the distinction of "best first call replacement sideman".

User Info Menu

That’s some great material!

Many could take number 8 to heart:

“This whole idea that music is about competition – as if someone is better than someone else, or this instrument is harder than that one, like what are you talking about?!

User Info Menu

That's the best "10 tips" article I've ever read. NOT ONE "tip" on theory, no licks, no techniques. ALL INTERNAL.

Bruce Lee would be proud. So would Steve Vai.

What a great article! Thanks for sharing this; I'm a big fan of Frisell.