The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Feeling the need for a bit of a sonic palate cleanser, maybe something acoustic and guitar oriented. Could be “jazz” could be something else. I wore out my copy of Friday Night in SF back in the day. My jazz interests trend more modern so not really into swing etc. Classical music used to be my day gig so not really looking for more of that either.

With that inscrutable set of criteria, what’s the freshness to check out JGF?!?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Tony Rice and John Carlini:

Banister River - YouTube

User Info Menu

Oud player Anouar Brahem has some beautiful albums on the ECM label. A nice blend of jazz, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern musics. Brahem’s tone, articulation, and phrasing on the fretless acoustic oud is an inspiration for striving for a warm rich sound on acoustic guitar.

Anouar Brahem on ECM

The first album in the list, Blue Maqams, includes Jack Dejohnette and Dave Holland.
    Last edited by maxsmith; 05-29-2022 at 12:02 PM.

User Info Menu

David Grisman & Martin Taylor, "Tone Poems" and "Tone Poems II", and "I'm Beginning To See The Light". The Tone Poems albums are on various vintage instruments, the last is an acoustic quartet. Very, very good. Oh, and there is also one recorded live at Wigmore Hall, wherever that is, and a couple more live acoustic albums, plus some with Frank Vignola.

User Info Menu

Peter Finger

User Info Menu

Alexey Arkhipovskiy

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Julian Lage solo acoustic albums, and in duo with Chris Eldridge.

McLaughlin's Time Remembered (Tribute to Bill Evans) - all guitars and all acoustic nylons I think including acoustic bass guitar.
    It shows quite complicated arrangements - I think there are 3 -4 guitars on it.

Well check Paco's albums - I would reccomend Entre Dos Aguas LP as a first listening (if you never listened to his music before)

Pat Metheny did a couple of acoustic solo albums - though I think he always plays with amplification on acoustics, not sure.

User Info Menu

Larry Coryell, Rite of Spring...

User Info Menu

Been listening to these all morning - they are all delightful, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    David Grisman & Martin Taylor, "Tone Poems" and "Tone Poems II", and "I'm Beginning To See The Light". The Tone Poems albums are on various vintage instruments, the last is an acoustic quartet. Very, very good. Oh, and there is also one recorded live at Wigmore Hall, wherever that is, and a couple more live acoustic albums, plus some with Frank Vignola.

User Info Menu

Here's an acoustic album I recorded a few years ago. Original tunes, two guitars and bass recorded live in a single afternoon.

Thanks for all the recs! Happily adding a lot here to my future listening list. Even when not scratching my current itch, lots of great musicianship to enjoy all around.

So far the winner is Brahem. I don’t know how I missed his output considering I am an ECM fan. Purposefully listening first to Barzakh; the albums with piano are too deep in the Western vernacular for me right now (but I will come back to them as they are lovely).

To frame my original ask another way, please no standards and no French modernism (be it the sounds of Messiaen or Murail) to paint the extremes of what my ear yearns for a break from.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk