The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 72 of 72
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    In Passing available on Apple Music. A bit of a surprise.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    My favourite album in the ECM catalogue is Kenny Wheeler's 'Angel Song'. A dream quartet of Kenny Wheeler, Lee Konitz, Bill Frisell and Dave Holland.

    I heard this album for the first time in 2005 after catching Kenny Wheeler's 75th birthday big band tour. The band was reduced to an octet for the first set and there were two tunes from 'Angel Song'.
    I immediately went and got the album and it is Frisell's playing on this album, together with Mick Goodrick on Steve Swallow's 'Always Pack Your Uniform on Top', that convinced me to switch from electric bass (which was my gateway into jazz via fusion) to the guitar.


  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Other ECM favourites include:

    John Abercrombie - 'Current Events' (1985)

    Jakob Bro - 'Gefion' (2015) and 'Bay of Rainbows' (2018)

    Jan Garbarek - 'Paths, Prints' (1982)

    Dave Holland Quintet - 'Extended Play: Live at Birdland' (2003)

    Keith Jarrett - 'My Song' (1978)

    Charles Lloyd - 'Voice in the Night' (1998)

    Marc Johnson - 'Bass Desires' (1985)

    Paul Motian Trio - 'It Should've Happened a Long Time Ago' (1985)

    Paul Motian Band - 'Garden of Eden' (2005)

    John Taylor, Norma Winstone and Kenny Wheeler - 'Azimuth' (1977)

    Ralph Towner and Gary Burton - 'Matchbook' (1974)

    Ralph Towner - 'Solstice' (1975)

    Kenny Wheeler - 'Music for Large & Small Ensembles' (1990)

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Ha! Your cross-posting beat me to it, David! I saw a couple of Kenny Wheeler's UK tours too and I agree - they really were inspiring.

    I was surprised that no-one had mentioned the beautiful 'Angel Song' yet. It's probably the ECM album that I've played the most in the past couple of decades, by a long way. Kenny Wheeler's track title 'Kind of Gentle' could sum up the mood of the whole album.
    Last edited by Mick Wright; 05-16-2022 at 07:22 AM.

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Enjoy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G View Post
    In Passing available on Apple Music. A bit of a surprise.

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    This was my introduction to Kenny Wheeler, with John Abercrombie - it was in the big ECM haul I got in 1985 or so, see the start of the thread.
    In Praise of ECM/Your Favorite ECM Guitar Album(s)-e78aca88-c4f0-4a8b-b645-ecf5f6e11e6f-jpeg
    I agree “Angel Song” is fantastic, “The Widow in the Window” (again with Abercrombie) is also beautiful. Wheeler has a gorgeous sound and excellent taste in guitarists.
    The two Swallow CDs, the one you mentioned and “Deconstructed” with Goodrick have been a great find from this thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    My favourite album in the ECM catalogue is Kenny Wheeler's 'Angel Song'. A dream quartet of Kenny Wheeler, Lee Konitz, Bill Frisell and Dave Holland.

    I heard this album for the first time in 2005 after catching Kenny Wheeler's 75th birthday big band tour. The band was reduced to an octet for the first set and there were two tunes from 'Angel Song'.
    I immediately went and got the album and it is Frisell's playing on this album, together with Mick Goodrick on Steve Swallow's 'Always Pack Your Uniform on Top', that convinced me to switch from electric bass (which was my gateway into jazz via fusion) to the guitar.

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by st.bede View Post
    I would say from the first time till today, In Pas(s)ing would be a desert island type of album.
    Amen.

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    When I saw Mick yesterday I told him about all the comments on this thread and forum. He told me "I only made a few records but it's nice to know they were important."
    There are some recordings he did with Wolfgang Muthspiel as a duo and the last time we talked, a couple of months ago, there was some mention of trying to get Manfred (ECM) to consider releasing them.
    That would be really nice.

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    The more Mick out there to listen to the better!

    Thanks for communicating to Mick how important he has been to the development of some of us here, even though we may never have entered Berklee’s doors. I’ve gotten a lot of education out of one album and one book of his - a little Mick goes a long way.

    As for his limited appearances on record, well, for several years, maybe decades, the only Mick Goodrick I had was “In Pas(s)ing”, and besides loving it just for its own sake, it was a touchstone for me in centering and re-centering my approach to jazz guitar - his tone, phrasing, dynamics, comping - all of it - though I know he further developed his playing over the decades, it was all there for me in that one record.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note View Post
    When I saw Mick yesterday I told him about all the comments on this thread and forum. He told me "I only made a few records but it's nice to know they were important."
    There are some recordings he did with Wolfgang Muthspiel as a duo and the last time we talked, a couple of months ago, there was some mention of trying to get Manfred (ECM) to consider releasing them.
    That would be really nice.

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    A recent guitar on ECM record I love is Sco's "Swallow Tales."
    Yes, it is great!

    Also solo Sco album was released on ECM too I believe (interesting that I loved his solo youtube and concert recordings more than on an album - I do not know why.. maybe there is some rawness in his live performance that adds lively quality to all the looper work and on the record it sounds as if it is pre-recorded).

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    ECM is really great enterprise. My very close friend's music cd was recorded on ECM (non-guitar music) some years ago and he shared with me his experience on recording and working process and communication with Manfred Eicher, it was very interesting to get from first hand.

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    ECM is really great enterprise. My very close friend's music cd was recorded on ECM (non-guitar music) some years ago and he shared with me his experience on recording and working process and communication with Manfred Eicher, it was very interesting to get from first hand.
    It's a unique and time proven business model that he includes a scheduled day before a recording date entirely for rehearsal and getting comfortable with the space. He knows what he wants and he also knows musicians respond well to being comfortable with the pressure.

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    Yes, it is great!

    Also solo Sco album was released on ECM too I believe (interesting that I loved his solo youtube and concert recordings more than on an album - I do not know why.. maybe there is some rawness in his live performance that adds lively quality to all the looper work and on the record it sounds as if it is pre-recorded).
    Sco is one of those musicians who is totally at home in a live situation. My feeling is that he is yet to record anything in a studio that remotely approaches what he does in even an off night playing live. That's why his long ago LIVE album is so strong even after all these years. Nothing safe in that playing and they got it down that night. That being said, there's an intimacy to the solo album that shows just what he can do when he gets to have a duo with himself. I really enjoy it.

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note View Post
    It's a unique and time proven business model that he includes a scheduled day before a recording date entirely for rehearsal and getting comfortable with the space. He knows what he wants and he also knows musicians respond well to being comfortable with the pressure.
    As much as I know many jazz artists on ECM today just do live recording or record at their local/home studios and just send the material to Manfred.
    I think jazz music allows to do that to some degree... (If I remember correctly Sco recorded his solo album at home).

    But my friend and musicians (string quartet and vocal enesemble) they really had to come to Munich rehearse there and record everything right there in the ECM studio.

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    I'd forgotten all about that incredible live quartet album - thanks David!



    All the best,
    Mick W

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note View Post
    It's a unique and time proven business model that he includes a scheduled day before a recording date entirely for rehearsal and getting comfortable with the space. He knows what he wants and he also knows musicians respond well to being comfortable with the pressure.
    Makes you wonder why all producers don't do that.

    What's really unique about ECM, in addition to the excellence of the musicians and quality of the recording process, is the soundscape.

    It's so singular--you can listen to Abercrombie or Burton or Bley (both of them!) or Jarrett and you know almost instantly it's an ECM recording. There aren't a lot of labels these days like that.

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    I published a modified version of my initial post in this thread on Medium today:

    My Serendipitous Introduction to the ECM Records Audioscape

    I plan to write more in-depth articles there about specific ECM releases; I hope some of you here might find it interesting.

    All the best!

  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    John Abercrombie - Night and Getting There
    Pat Metheny - Travels and Offramp
    Terje Rypdal - Whenever I Seem to be Far Away and Waves
    Bill Frisell - Rambler, In Line and Lookout for Hope
    Bass Desires - Bass Desires and Second Sight (Frisell and Scofield)
    Paul Motain - Psalm

    Bajillion of others. Love E.C.M.!

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by maxsmith View Post
    I published a modified version of my initial post in this thread on Medium today:

    My Serendipitous Introduction to the ECM Records Audioscape

    I plan to write more in-depth articles there about specific ECM releases; I hope some of you here might find it interesting.

    All the best!
    Hi Max,
    Thought you might like to know that London Jazz News included a link to your article in their weekly Wednesday Breakfast Headlines newsletter, in a round-up of interesting articles and news from around the web. Good to see it there!

  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    Oh, wow, that’s great, thanks for letting me know!

    Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Hi Max,
    Thought you might like to know that London Jazz News included a link to your article in their weekly Wednesday Breakfast Headlines newsletter, in a round-up of interesting articles and news from around the web. Good to see it there!

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    One ECM guitarist who rarely gets mentioned is Steve Eliovson. Dawn Dance, an album from 1981 featuring Collin Walcott was his sole recording for the label. Another session was lined up but a series of incidents (and an accident - the guitarist couldn’t make the flight to Munich due to a badly broken leg) resulted in Eliovson soon retiring from the scene.

  23. #72

    User Info Menu

    Nice! Found the album on Apple Music - will give it a listen, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by PMB View Post
    One ECM guitarist who rarely gets mentioned is Steve Eliovson. Dawn Dance, an album from 1981 featuring Collin Walcott was his sole recording for the label. Another session was lined up but a series of incidents (and an accident - the guitarist couldn’t make the flight to Munich due to a badly broken leg) resulted in Eliovson soon retiring from the scene.