The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Dutchbopper Guest
    This album has been very important for me. It's basically an "easy listening" album (of which Wim was not very proud) but personally, I think it is one of the finest albums in this particular genre available on the planet, on a par with Wes' efforts in this field. It was recorded in the early 70s. I first heard "Collage" in the late 80s and I I remember playing the CD over and over and over again. Beautifully orchestrated and very very fine jazz guitar playing all around. Beautiful sound of the guitar to boot! A lush recording.If I remember correctly, Martijn van Iterson agrees with me totally on this album.

Listen to this guys. It's a real gem. And it finally made its way to the Tube for you to enjoy.

If you look beyond the "easy listening" label this album carries, you are in for a treat!

Here's the complete playlist of that classic Overgaauw album. Wim would probably surprised I like this one best of all his work!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5JeWbWc1g9B0YA
    Last edited by Dutchbopper; 04-21-2022 at 07:48 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Vincent Koning turned me on to Wim. Loved him once I heard him, especially on a date he made with Ferdinand Povel.

He was a real in the moment improviser and should be better known...

joelf Guest
    Great stuff!

What a touch---pure velvet...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Great stuff!

What a touch---pure velvet...
    Lovely playing although the arrangements are a bit lush for my taste. And what's with that cover art?!

User Info Menu

I'd rather listen to that album than 90% of the crap that passes for jazz today. As Jimmy Raney said, being able to play a ballad interestingly and musically without running all over the place, separates the players with a real melodic gift from the guys who just play patterns all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I'd rather listen to that album than 90% of the crap that passes for jazz today. As Jimmy Raney said, being able to play a ballad interestingly and musically without running all over the place, separates the players with a real melodic gift from the guys who just play patterns all the time.
    this. i was (and still am) obsessed with the ruud brink album below. wim recorded all solos within 30 minutes and didn't think too much of it. i think that each of the solos on this record is pure gold. i also suggest to check out the nederlands jazz archief for recordings with bill evans, hank mobley and others. there are also fantastic recordings issued by the label blue jack records which seems to be out of business. for completionists like me there are also nice sideman records with johnny mayer. i also have a ton of private recordings, including the tros sesjun with both raneys.

Just Friends (feat. Ruud Brink) - YouTube

this also seems like a good moment to say farewell, and fade back into lurking again.

User Info Menu