The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Oberg's kinda like the football (soccer) player who can do all the tricks and perform all the drills flawlessly , but put him in a game and he doesn't do anything. Whereas a Zidane or a Pele could do all those tricks just as well but you put them in a game and they win the World Cup with their ability to read the game and it's flow. I'd rather win the World Cup than get in the Guinness Book of Records for doing football tricks for three days straight, if you know what I mean.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scrybe
    Oberg's kinda like the football (soccer) player who can do all the tricks and perform all the drills flawlessly , but put him in a game and he doesn't do anything. Whereas a Zidane or a Pele could do all those tricks just as well but you put them in a game and they win the World Cup with their ability to read the game and it's flow. I'd rather win the World Cup than get in the Guinness Book of Records for doing football tricks for three days straight, if you know what I mean.

YES! it's a lot like sports except without the competitive aspect. The truly great players of basketball (sorry to use basketball, but it's a love of mine) make thier teammates better, and don't care about scoring titles and records, personal achievements, they achieve records out of necessity, whatever it takes to win. They care about winning.

Oberg was a trained tennis prodigy, which may have led to his music practice habits.

IMHO, music is sensitivity, sensetive to others, and sensitive you the music, the tune. It is not a competition, and you have to be sensitive towards who you're playing with.

It just seemed like Oberg is one of those guys who would be in a music store going crazy. You can't tell what his direction, motivation and articulation is, because it's not there. His playing seems more like a technical etude cd than a player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzyteach65
    YES! it's a lot like sports except without the competitive aspect. The truly great players of basketball (sorry to use basketball, but it's a love of mine) make thier teammates better, and don't care about scoring titles and records, personal achievements, they achieve records out of necessity, whatever it takes to win. They care about winning.

Oberg was a trained tennis prodigy, which may have led to his music practice habits.

IMHO, music is sensitivity, sensetive to others, and sensitive you the music, the tune. It is not a competition, and you have to be sensitive towards who you're playing with.

It just seemed like Oberg is one of those guys who would be in a music store going crazy. You can't tell what his direction, motivation and articulation is, because it's not there. His playing seems more like a technical etude cd than a player.
    That's actually quite interesting because I used to play various sports at regional levels - tennis, football/soccer, and swimming, as well playing basketball and other sports for fun. There was always a different vibe to being "in the zone" when playing team sports, even when you're team was losing, compared to individual stuff. I think my practice room mentality now is closer to my individual sports mentality (i.e. it's me against this opposition/obstacle/thing) whereas whenever I play with others, I'm all about the whole and how I fit into that (trying to make the whole more fluid and powerful by my contribution, even if my contribution is to do less). I always hate it if I get too caught up in what I'm doing and how good/bad it is in isolation when jamming with others. That's when I play my worst, it just feels unnatural and I clam up and hit clangers and stuff or lose the groove.

I'm sure that's along the lines of what Parker meant by the whole practice everything and then forget it line - get as strong as you can in the practice room so when you're jamming or performing you can call on all of that as and when needed, but the jam/performance is about something else entirely.

User Info Menu

I'd be shocked if any competant jazz musician listened to any track off this record and not taken something away from it. I could spend at least an hour on each track listening over and over, to the things going on. So much is being said, so many things with so little!

Hall's dynamics REALLY impress the hell outta me here. I LOVE the way he can crescendo and accent mid-line. He REALLY plays notes with dynamics like a horn player. His accents and rests are great. I'm trying to copy that aspect now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzyteach65
    So I've been listening to thier "Undercurrent" album a lot this week. I've noticed, that they feed off each other, and communicate so well as a duo, when one comps louder or certain rhythms, he pushes the other to play lines a certain way, ect.

I can't think of another duo setting where two musicians are "talking" so well.

Can anyone?
    I have 2 Ed Bickert duet cd's and they are both awesome:

Ed Bickert and Bill Mays live - Bill I believe is a Canadian pianist. Great stuff!

Ed Bicket and Rob McConnell - Mutual Street - Rob is a valve trombone player and fellow Canadian as well. This is a really fun cd and really shows what a fantastic chordal wizard Ed is.

PJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I have 2 Ed Bickert duet cd's and they are both awesome:

Ed Bickert and Bill Mays live - Bill I believe is a Canadian pianist. Great stuff!

Ed Bicket and Rob McConnell - Mutual Street - Rob is a valve trombone player and fellow Canadian as well. This is a really fun cd and really shows what a fantastic chordal wizard Ed is.

PJ

I've heard that from a lot of people. I like Ed's playing, and his technique quite a bit. Unfortunately, I've never heard his stuff with Bill Mays, and it's very difficult to find records like that in stores here. I may have to order it.

Rare records are so hard to find. I was at the library, the one place where I would hope to find decent music, and what happens? They have no Mingus, no Art Blakey ect. Instead there is Chris Botti and Paul Brown