The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello guys, I'm continuing my listening to earlier jazz guitar styles, and have got interested in the work of Eddie Condon. There's a good deal of his stuff on YouTube and very nice it is too... but he seemed to favour large, brass-heavy lineups and it's hard to hear what the guitar's doing. Can anyone point me at any small group or solo recordings? TIA, NP

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Firstly, Eddie rules!

I don't know if there are any small group recordings with Eddie. I have a few vinyl compilations where you can hear him clearly in certain parts, but still brass heavy. Your best bet is to look for as many compilations as you can find.

https://www.discogs.com/release/7618...-His-All-Stars

If he did do any small band recordings, they were likely on 78s.

User Info Menu

I haven't heard any recordings on which I can hear Condon clearly. Much less than even Freddie Green.

Hello guys, thanks both for replies and sorry for this very slow acknowledgment -- family turbulence. You might be interested in my new thread on Norman Brown from the Mills Bros. Best, NP.

User Info Menu

One thing about Condon that could influence the recording quality is that he was normally out in front, as the bandleader. The audience could probably hear him better, but the recording equipment available at the time, especially for live performances, one mic usually placed to catch the entire band, would not capture the guitar well, being behind him or off to the side. The only way to capture an archtop guitar, whether a normal 6-string or tenor which Condon played, is from in front of it. Not much sound goes to the sides or rear.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I can't play any of those files. I just get a steady click sound. I tried downloading multiple formats, with the same results.

User Info Menu

Playing them in the browser works for me.

I'm on a Mac.

User Info Menu

It works now. Some electronic glitch, restarting the computer fixed it.

I can hear that Condon is playing on track 1, but it's still not very clear. Just not enough volume directed in the right direction.