The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Two cool Hank Garland pics courtesy of Deke Dickerson .....

Hank Garland-hank-garland-jpgHank Garland-278092103_10158452603616746_3942250967752474983_n-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

cool, thanks for posting

User Info Menu

Looks like spaceship type knobs on an antique. I assume those are original parts.

Hey, I base a guitar on how it plays and sounds, but that being said, that is one ugly puppy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Looks like spaceship type knobs on an antique. I assume those are original parts.

Hey, I base a guitar on how it plays and sounds, but that being said, that is one ugly puppy.
    Looks like Paul Bigsby pickups, knobs and guard and bridge saddle

User Info Menu

Yes, I would say that's a Bigsby mod all the way. Bigsby was a major player in manufacturing musical instruments back in the day, mostly solid-bodies. He built some for Merle Travis, and he built Tiny Moore's 5-string electric mandolins. The tremolo is only one of his inventions, but the one he's remembered for. His instruments did not look all that great, IMO, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, but they were great players, and great players wanted his products.

I think this version of Relaxing is perhaps the definitive version, and i like it a lot better.

He owned a few Gibsons, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Looks like Paul Bigsby pickups, knobs and guard and bridge saddle
    I forgot to mention the nut

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I think this version of Relaxing is perhaps the definitive version, and i like it a lot better.
    Man, his tone is great... better than I remember it being on the CD version I used to listen to. Might this be a remaster? With a little judicious EQ ... ?

that is one ugly puppy.
    The eye of the beholder may differ. Jazz culture and California Swing/Rockabill/Country culture have different aesthetics. A lot of folks love TK Smith's reissues. TK Smith(R) Guitars | TK Smith

Starjasmine, I can't disagree. I posted the Newport performance as it is under the radar as far as Garland records.
    Last edited by AndyV; 04-08-2022 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

The Newport recording is interesting, of course, in its own right. Particularly the cut Riot-chous, apparently made up on the spot, which is also on the Jazz Winds album. The most amazing thing about the latter, to me, is the playing of 17-year-old Gary Burton.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal

As with many things from that era, a blend of early 20th century modern design (art deco, craftsman) for the woodworking and industrial styling for the metal parts. I'm very partial to that actually--that's what I scour antique stores for. Not that I don't mind a clean midcentury look too, but the quirkiness of some of these designs is part of their charm.

User Info Menu

There's a decent movie depicting Hank called "Crazy" . With Waylon Payne and Ali Larter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    There's a decent movie depicting Hank called "Crazy" . With Waylon Payne and Ali Larter.
    I own it on blu ray. There’s a thread here on it. The best part was him walking into a black nightclub and Wes Montgomery was playing. Hank was blown away!