The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I'm a big Melissa Aldana fan; her new album is fantastic (on Blue Note, with Lage Lund), and has been getting some good press (great for her!). She's on tour in the US and Europe the next few months, and will likely have Lage or Charles Altura in her band, so check her out! I'm seeing her next week in my area -- very excited!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just got into her this past year. Great stuff.

User Info Menu

OK, made it to the show last night, and Wow!! Incredible! She has a few more US shows, then off to Europe (and then back and forth some more) -- highly recommended!

They mostly played tunes from the new album, and the whole band was on fire! Lage was with her, so that was a treat, since I've never seen him before! [Gearheads: he had a Kemper on the floor, and some other large device with lots of knobs; just played through the Fender amp that was at the university.] Got to say Hi to the whole band afterwards, which is always fun! Sat next to an older cat who was an actual jazz fan, not a player -- so they do exist?! Wonderful evening!

Melissa Aldana -- album and tour!-aldana-2-jpgMelissa Aldana -- album and tour!-aldana-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice ballad, tastefully done. But let’s not go overboard because she’s new. However I support anyone who helps to keep jazz alive.

User Info Menu

Great tune, thanks, 2b!

But "new?" Her first album was about 12 years ago, and she won the Monk competition in 2013, followed by her release on Concord! She's young, but she's been around..

User Info Menu

Hey, this is streaming right now!

User Info Menu

Tremendous player -- I've enjoyed her work over the past decade or so, and finally got to see her at Newport JF last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    But let’s not go overboard because she’s new.
    Respect as always, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Aldana recorded her first album, Free Fall,[2] released on Greg Osby's Inner Circle Music imprint, in 2010.[3][1] . . . In 2013, aged 24, she was the first female musician and the first South American to win the Thelonious Monk International Jazz Saxophone Competition
    I don't love every Monk / Hancock Prize winner equally but . . . wait for it . . . there are no losers in the bunch!

User Info Menu

+ 1

I had not heard of Aldana, but this thread got me listening to her album Free Fall, which I find very impressive, both for the musicianship and the compositions. I look forward to exploring more of her music!

User Info Menu

As a former saxophonist/flutist for over 20 years, I will abstain from any technical/artistic comments. However, she must be a deep thinker if she believes in Tarot Cards and Numerology. And, she won the Monk/Hancock Prize . . . What else could a musician need?
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    As a former saxophonist/flutist for over 20 years, I will abstain from any technical/artistic comments. However, she must be a deep thinker if she believes in Tarot Cards and Numerology. And, she won the Monk/Hancock Prize . . . What else could a musician need?
    Marinero
    You no longer play the sax or flute?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    You no longer play the sax or flute?

Hi, J,
    The last time I touched my sax or flute (Selmer Mark VI and Gemeinhardt flute) was about a year ago to check the pads and springs and wipe them down. However, I listen to tenor sax recordings more than any other instrument despite the fact I've been playing CG since '92 and recently returned to my '66 Gibson ES125TC about two years ago. Saxophone was/is an addiction, for me, that was very difficult to leave . . . much like an old lover that you'll never forget. However, there are more jobs for solo guitar and better pay(prior to Covid). But, that's why I never sold it.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

she's good. Just good beyond whatever... best luck and prominance to her

One of my favorite quartets today. Highly recommended.