The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The tab is not the way he played it. For example, where the 16ths start, he didn't play any notes on the high E string until the high D.

User Info Menu

Yuck! I listened about 5 seconds and that was 4 seconds too long. It's an abomination. Did Warren think that MJQ did not successfully reach the bottom of the barrel?

User Info Menu

Such beautiful, indestructible music... right?

(for those who don't get the inflection in my voice: I do mean the music, not adaptation or the interpretation)

anything posted by the Legend
    Warren Nunes is great..lucky i found a few pieces on Patreon.....seen a few people around here who took lessons with him...i have his blues book..still looking for the solos book he did on some standards...RARE..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    The tab is not the way he played it. For example, where the 16ths start, he didn't play any notes on the high E string until the high D.
    That's the problem with using tabs for transcriptions. There's no way you can know where a guitarist played most things.
    I didn't know WN used the three-notes-per-string approach. They've got about half of Half Moon Bay on the Tube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    That's the problem with using tabs for transcriptions. There's no way you can know where a guitarist played most things.
    I didn't know WN used the three-notes-per-string approach. They've got about half of Half Moon Bay on the Tube.
    He did a book called Solo Patterns. The patterns are 3 notes per string. And, he used them when he soloed.

But, his "speed technique" (his term) went beyond that. I've posted about it before. He adjusted left hand fingering to accommodate the needs of the pick. So, he was an alternate picker, mostly, and used pull-offs in situations where alternate picking broke down, like playing E C G at the fifth fret on three consecutive strings, descending in pitch. Warren would put the E on the G string and pull off to the C, to relieve him of having to pick three consecutive strings in a descending line. At moderate tempo that would be unnecessary, but Warren's style included breakneck tempo with a jackhammer attack.

User Info Menu

I doubt it’s based on a piece, maybe the cycle of fifths pattern is a lift, but doesn’t sound like Bach beyond that….

what a great technique though. Shredder!