The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

Hello,

As a bedroom jazz guitar player I have to confess that whilst loving the sound of jazz guitar, I hold decent trumpet playing in equal esteem. Its the haunting sound and the way it floats above the band that captivates me.

Sax I find to be too shrill and piano a bit formulaic and lacking expression.

Therefore I am looking for recommendations for albums that are just guitar, trumpet drum n bass. Can any one advise?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ralph Towner and Paolo Fresu. Just guitar and trumpet.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

'These Rooms' by Jim Hall & Tom Harrell

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Ralph Towner and Paolo Fresu. Just guitar and trumpet.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Came here to suggest this...Chiaroscuro.

Its absolutely lovely.

User Info Menu

If you can handle no drums, the albums Philip Catherine made with Chet Baker and later Tom Harrell are outstanding.

User Info Menu

Mark Whitfield/Nicolas Payton/Christian McBride .... !!!!!!

User Info Menu

Trumpeter Ron Miles made a nice duet album with Bill Frisell called Heaven in 2002.

Sadly, Ron passed away earlier this month, age 58.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Came here to suggest this...Chiaroscuro.

Its absolutely lovely.
    +1 more for this great album. It’s one of my favorites.

User Info Menu

Cher Baker, Doug Raney, and NHOP. Three marvelous albums on Steeplechase records.

User Info Menu

+100 on the Hall/Harrell album!

Mike Baggetta's "Tin/Bag" albums are just trumpet and guitar -- fun/interesting stuff!

Thanks, enough suggestions here to keep me going for a few evenings, I might even post some reviews in reply.

Out of interest anyone else share my views on sax and the joanna ? Some sax sounds beautiful i will say, but it has the ability to really jar my nerves if done in the right way. With the piano hmmmm. Perhaps its because it is so easy to play really fast phrases and it doesn't sustain too well, players get drawn into playing too many notes for my liking.

User Info Menu

Johnny Glasel w/ the great Dick Garcia and Perry Lopez on guitar

User Info Menu

I don't have a link handy, but Howard Alden made an excellent album with Warren Vache'. If you're so inclined, he also made at least one with Ken Peplowski on clarinet, and also made some recordings with Anat Cohen on clarinet. I think clarinet pairs a little better with guitar than trumpet, but it's all good.

User Info Menu

Here's a blast from the past (1972) - a great full-sounding quartet album with quite a few really steaming sections, notable to my ears for the hugely-forward-looking (mentor to Rodney Jones) and very individualistic playing of the little-recorded guitarist Bruce Johnson.

Most if not all of the tracks are pasted up individually on YouTube- album title 'Il Giro Del Giorno In 80 Mondi' - Enrico Rava.

With Enrico Rava (trumpet), Bruce Johnson (guitar), Marcelo Melis (bass), Chip White (drums). Originally released 1972 on Fonit Centra International, then re-released 1976 on Black Saint, and again later on CD in the early 90's I think. Yes, it's jazz guitar tone - but not as we know it, Jim !.......

Albums that are just guitar and trumpet-enrico-rava-cd-jpg
    Last edited by QsDuesBlues; 03-22-2022 at 08:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Johnny Glasel w/ the great Dick Garcia and Perry Lopez on guitar

Thanks for posting that LP! I was going to spend a lot of money for that because it's so hard to find.
    We've spoken about garcia before, and This is the one LP I could never find. I don't think it made it to CD,

User Info Menu

This is a compilation of Jim Hall and Art Farmer LPs, you can't get more mellow than these two:

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney made an album that features John Wilson on trumpet on some tracks, the other ones feature JR and piano trio:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Thanks for posting that LP! I was going to spend a lot of money for that because it's so hard to find.
    We've spoken about garcia before, and This is the one LP I could never find. I don't think it made it to CD,
    It did on a double cd w/a Mel Davis recording w Galbraith and Sgro
    Check the bay

User Info Menu

Flugelhorn, but hey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    If you can handle no drums, the albums Philip Catherine made with Chet Baker and later Tom Harrell are outstanding.
    "It takes a pretty good drummer to be better than no drummer at all."
    -- Chet Baker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    "It takes a pretty good drummer to be better than no drummer at all."
    -- Chet Baker
    It's funny, i LOVE drums but I definitely get what Baker is saying here, from the standpoint of communication...I love playing in quieter duos and trios, the music can be so much more conversational.

But that said, one of the best musical communicators I ever worked with was a drummer. So maybe strike all of that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Hello,

As a bedroom jazz guitar player I have to confess that whilst loving the sound of jazz guitar, I hold decent trumpet playing in equal esteem. Its the haunting sound and the way it floats above the band that captivates me.

Sax I find to be too shrill and piano a bit formulaic and lacking expression.

Therefore I am looking for recommendations for albums that are just guitar, trumpet drum n bass. Can any one advise?

Thanks!
    As a former trumpeter myself, I dig what you are saying. Forum member Dutchbopper is doing nice work with Trio Chet. Check 'em out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    It did on a double cd w/a Mel Davis recording w Galbraith and Sgro
    Check the bay
    Wow, I never knew Mel made any jazz records as a leader. My first steady jazz trio gig was for a year, playing at Mel's club, called Mel's Place on Lawnguyland. I was only 18 years old, and the Real Book didn't exist, so I'd only play tunes that I'd copy off records by Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Wes, Jim Hall, Barney Kessel, Johnny Smith, Herb Ellis, Tal Farlow, Chuck Wayne, Jimmy Raney- any jazz guitar records I owned.
    If they were standards, Mel would pop up out of nowhere, and play the tunes with us. He played a line on the bridge of "Night and Day" that flipped me out, so I copied it and still play it today. I wrote an original (contrafact) based on the changes of Night and Day called Day and Nite for the two big bands I play with, and i worked MD's line into the shout chorus!
    We were sitting down on a break once, and Mel came over to us, and told us he just got a call from Paul McCartney. PM sang a melody to him, and asked him if he could play it on Flugelhorn.
    Mel said yes, and the next thing he knew, Paul flew him over to London to play the flugelhorn solo on 'Uncle Albert!

Mel had one rule that we had to follow at his club: Never play the tune "Stormy Weather"!

I've gotta hear that album he made with Joe Sgro- the only Sgro album I have is the one where he just plays chord melodies- no single line solos!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    As a former trumpeter myself, I dig what you are saying. Forum member Dutchbopper is doing nice work with Trio Chet. Check 'em out!
    Yes, actually I'm toying with the idea of learning the trumpet myself, it was hearing Art Farmer on Burrell's earthy album that turned me on to it. But I've a long way to go on the strings, thinking that if I ever reach any kind of gig playing level I might make the jump...
    How cool would that be, guitarist knocks out a top solo then pulls a trumpet out of his back pocket and carries on with that....
    I can only dream eh.

User Info Menu

Philip Catherine album Summer Nights has a quartet of guitar, trumpet, bass, drums.

Here is Tiger Groove: