The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Wow, I never knew Mel made any jazz records as a leader. My first steady jazz trio gig was for a year, playing at Mel's club, called Mel's Place on Lawnguyland. I was only 18 years old, and the Real Book didn't exist, so I'd only play tunes that I'd copy off records by Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Wes, Jim Hall, Barney Kessel, Johnny Smith, Herb Ellis, Tal Farlow, Chuck Wayne, Jimmy Raney- any jazz guitar records I owned.
    If they were standards, Mel would pop up out of nowhere, and play the tunes with us. He played a line on the bridge of "Night and Day" that flipped me out, so I copied it and still play it today. I wrote an original (contrafact) based on the changes of Night and Day called Day and Nite for the two big bands I play with, and i worked MD's line into the shout chorus!
    We were sitting down on a break once, and Mel came over to us, and told us he just got a call from Paul McCartney. PM sang a melody to him, and asked him if he could play it on Flugelhorn.
    Mel said yes, and the next thing he knew, Paul flew him over to London to play the flugelhorn solo on 'Uncle Albert!

Mel had one rule that we had to follow at his club: Never play the tune "Stormy Weather"!

I've gotta hear that album he made with Joe Sgro- the only Sgro album I have is the one where he just plays chord melodies- no single line solos!
    Cool story!
    I have that Davis lp, Sgro plays a few chord solos, no single line, but BG gets a couple. It's actually a really nice record and Davis's sound is beautiful.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Okay, so being backed by an all star orchestra doesn’t count. But still one of the finest albums from CTI in 1971 was Freddie Hubbard’s First Light. Sounds as fresh today and it’s 51 years old.

George Benson on guitar was a knockout.

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Mark Whitfield/Nicolas Payton/Christian McBride .... !!!!!!

Done this one last night, hmmm, 4/5. Very nice and mellow, couple of points they could have done with drummer to hold it together but ill let them off.

User Info Menu

Emily Remler's albums "Transitions" and "Catwalk"

John Scofield's "East Meets West"

If you like mainstream swing without much bebop...

Ruby Braff with the Ed Bickert Trio from 1979 on Sackville

And the several records recorded by the Ruby Braff / George Barnes Quartet (trumpet, two guitars, bass)

User Info Menu

Not quite on topic because it's trombone and guitar, but check out anything by Natalie Cressman and Ian Faquini.

Ian is an incredible comp-er and composer. They both sing too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Thanks for posting that LP! I was going to spend a lot of money for that because it's so hard to find.
    We've spoken about garcia before, and This is the one LP I could never find. I don't think it made it to CD,
    It just did on a two-disc set from Fresh Sounds:

Johnny Glasel & Mel Davis - Jazz Session + Trumpet with a Soul (2 LP on 1 CD) - Blue Sounds

John Galich

User Info Menu

I’m more familiar with his solo guitar work and his album with Jonathan Kreisberg
    but I like this album and her solo albums are also worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    It's funny, i LOVE drums but I definitely get what Baker is saying here, from the standpoint of communication...I love playing in quieter duos and trios, the music can be so much more conversational.

But that said, one of the best musical communicators I ever worked with was a drummer. So maybe strike all of that
    I love drumless bands - I can hear more flexibility and just can hear more music there - especially live wehre drums often louder...

But I totally dig Rudy Royston, Bill Stewart, Roy Haynes, Dave King and many others - they can make it melodious.

As for the topic...
    great drumless record of Tony Bennet with legendary George Barnes on solo guitar and Wayne Wright on rythm, Ruby Braff on cornet and John Giuffrida.

Great songs - great melt of voice, cornet and guitars/bass sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Trumpeter Ron Miles made a nice duet album with Bill Frisell called Heaven in 2002.

Sadly, Ron passed away earlier this month, age 58.

So sad...
    I just recently really discovered his beautiful work... such a generous a delicate gift.

User Info Menu

Palle Mikkelborg and Terje Rypdal, Live in Köln, 1986

So when browsing some of the suggestions here I came across this one:

Art Farmer / Jim Hall,

Album is called 'To Sweeden with Love' or 'from sweeden with love' depending if you look on YouTube or Spotify, outstanding 5/5 in my opinion. Farmer's playing, the way his licks seem to 'tumble and roll' out of his instrument, I can't get enough of that. Hall's playing is the perfect complement to it.

This album is kind of like the archetype of the kind of Jazz I want to listen to, thanks to all the posters who have led me to find this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    So when browsing some of the suggestions here I came across this one:

Art Farmer / Jim Hall,

Album is called 'To Sweeden with Love' or 'from sweeden with love' depending if you look on YouTube or Spotify, outstanding 5/5 in my opinion. Farmer's playing, the way his licks seem to 'tumble and roll' out of his instrument, I can't get enough of that. Hall's playing is the perfect complement to it.

This album is kind of like the archetype of the kind of Jazz I want to listen to, thanks to all the posters who have led me to find this.

those old jazz LP's covers with 'some girl' close-up on it

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor and Guy Barker - Freternity.

DG

User Info Menu

What about valve trombone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    those old jazz LP's covers with 'some girl' close-up on it
    That's what playing music is all about, impressing women, and any man who says otherwise is either lying or doesn't realise it yet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    That's what playing music is all about, impressing women, and any man who says otherwise is either lying or doesn't realise it yet!

User Info Menu

Ron McClure's "Tonight Only" with John Abercrombie and Randy Brecker is a favorite

PK

User Info Menu