The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Tongue firmly planted in cheek...or?
    He makes an uber rare flub @ 17:18 and seems like he takes it out on his next tune @ 18:00, absolute masterful playing that few could even dream of executing. And keep in mind his solo is less than a minute long!
    Everything physically points to him being from here but sometimes I wonder...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Probably it is my English and also inattention... otherwise I would skipped seeing the video and the thread.

I am wondering what is the use of sharing this discovery and pinpointing mistakes? I mean literally: what is the use?

User Info Menu

Colourised; what a pity.

User Info Menu

Lol tough crowd

Thanks for sharing it. Good to see that Wes was a human and that he took it well great playing as expected.

User Info Menu

I'm transcribing that flub and working it into my playing.

User Info Menu

I once saw the great pianist Earl Wild start a Chopin sonata, then stop after a couple of measures, saying, "Sorry, I made a mistake. Let me start that over."

Seems like I saw a famous musician start a song out in the wrong key, stop, and start over in the right key. (I have done that as well, just pretend it was intentional and play on LOL.) The crowd laughed and applauded.

Of course jazz is more forgiving of mistakes. Miles himself said "It's not the note you play that's the wrong note - it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Probably it is my English and also inattention... otherwise I would skipped seeing the video and the thread.

I am wondering what is the use of sharing this discovery and pinpointing mistakes? I mean literally: what is the use?
    Relax, there is no bigger fan than I.
    All I'm saying is that he makes a tiny mistake as any human would (he's so good it almost seems impossible) but seems like he's motivated to even greater heights on his next tune.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

User Info Menu

The mistakes of the masters are as instructive and illuminating as a thousand "right" notes from the also-rans.

User Info Menu

I note that this "flub" brought a big grin to Mr. Montgomery's face. Mine, too. I would not have thought it a mistake, rather a piquant variation on a pliable theme. A couple more choruses, and he'd turned it to an epiphany.

User Info Menu

In Ancient Rome, when a general returned from a successful campaign, he might be rewarded a “Triumph”, basically a ticker tape parade in a fancy chariot. Tradition required that a slave stand immediately behind the general. His only task was to repeat over and over in the general’s ear: “Remember that you are only human.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor

Seeing Wes smile after making that mistake was worth watching this for me.

he pulls his hand off the neck and then strokes his chin while the host is talking

User Info Menu

As to Mr. Montgomery's planetary origin it is a little known fact that he was second cousin thrice removed of Sun Ra who, as everyone knows was from Saturn.

Was Wes Montgomery from this planet?-unknown-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    In Ancient Rome, when a general returned from a successful campaign, he might be rewarded a “Triumph”, basically a ticker tape parade in a fancy chariot. Tradition required that a slave stand immediately behind the general. His only task was to repeat over and over in the general’s ear: “Remember that you are only human.”
    I thought it was "Remember, you will die" memento mori

User Info Menu

I thought those two dudes were never going to stop talking.

User Info Menu

I'd hit that flub twice more and call it an experiment in progressive jazz. Gotta step outside once in a while so it feels better when you go back in.

Yeah, love and respect how Wes smiled. The lesser me would probably scowl.

User Info Menu

'completely self-taught and unschooled'
    Saved his life :-)

User Info Menu

Hi, W,
    I wish I had a dime for every flub I made playing live since the 60's. The more complex the music . . . the greater the possibility. I never pay attention to these things unless they are continually happening but most non-musicians/audiences never hear them. Was Wes an alien? You bet! Beam me up Scotty!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I don't make mistakes. I occasionally create innovation opportunities. It's all a part of the service.

User Info Menu

If you're not making the occasional mistake then you ain't GOING FOR IT.

Wes has another famous "flub" on the version of Impressions from Smokin' at the Half Note (I think it also made it's way on the "Willow Weep For Me" record where they added strings to some quartet recordings or something like that....not sure if it was on the original release of either...)

Anyway, Wes is playing an absolutely BURNING chord solo as he so often did at the climax of his solos...he muffs something, doesn't even sound bad, but you hear the rhythm break slightly...and you hear Wes laugh. And then he picks right back up from there and totally nails the ending.

That's how you recover from a mistake...that's why Wes is the GOAT.

User Info Menu

I know the bit you mean, but I cannot hear a mistake there, he's playing an incredibly powerful rhythmic chord motif over and over. I think he just laughs out loud for the sheer joy of playing it. (Or if it is a mistake, it's not one we mere mortals would care about if we played it!)

There's a bit on the live Radio France version of Round Midnight where after Wes states the theme, Johnny Griffin starts playing, then fools around a bit and Wes laughs out loud. I think he was just a very joyful guy. (It's at 2:40 here).

There is an odd bit that sounds like a flub near the end of Wes' solo on Willow Weep For Me (from the Smokin' album) where it sounds like Wes got fed up with the tune or something, he plays a weird flurry of notes in the bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The mistakes of the masters are as instructive and illuminating as a thousand "right" notes from the also-rans.
    It is wonderful to be included in the same conversation as Wes...!

User Info Menu

Wes is the exception to that guy proclaiming that there's no such thing as a perfect solo.

User Info Menu

Can't recall the exact tune, but there's an ending on the Bill Evans LP ""Loose Bloose" where Jim Hall accidentally plays an open or a behind the bridge string that goes "DOINK!" right at the end of a ballad. Mistakes happen to the best players too, thankfully. I recall sitting 4 ft. from the great Dobro player Jerry Douglas as he played amazingly, He made an obvious clam, smiled to himself and kept pushing forward as if nothing happened. It's all about recovery.
    Last edited by AndyV; 03-18-2022 at 03:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Whitney Balliett said Bob Brookmeyer never made a mistake. I do not know how mistakes could be made on a valve trombone.