The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

BB played changes, in his own way. All the great bluesmen did.

User Info Menu

I was told this story by a Reno club musician who was there.

BB King is playing with his usual band. 12 bar blues. At one point, BB sustains a high note and keeps it going.

Turnaround comes and BB shakes the note to keep it happening and as the chorus progresses he's shaking it, squeezing it, doing whatever he can with that note.

Next turnaround comes and he still has it going and going and going.

At that point, the crowd goes absolutely nuts, on their feet and screaming.

One note.

User Info Menu

That was fantastic. I had never seen that particular clip before. I'm actually surprised he KNEW what a dominant 9th or diminished chord was... let alone be able to play them. He always said in interviews he "didn't know any of that stuff", and that he "couldn't play chords".... obviously he exaggerated.

User Info Menu

I find it surprising that we’re surprised that a professional musician knows things like chords and scales LOL. I mean, after all, it IS their job, and what do they have to do with their spare time other than learn it better?

I’m joking. I’ve heard BB talk quite a lot, in fact the Sirius XM Blues channel often has interviews with him, and not only can he tell a good story, but it’s impressive how much he knows about playing music that will get people feeling good and the music biz in general.

I saw him back in the 80’s at a festival in downtown Chattanooga. When he started singing about how his woman done him wrong and made him blue, the ENTIRE crowd said “uh huh”, well half the crowd. The other half shouted out when he sang about a woman’s no-good man. I haven’t seen a performer have a crowd so much in his pocket before or since.

User Info Menu

BB at Sing Sing 1972:

User Info Menu

One band I was in had the opportunity to open to open for quite a few national acts; BB King among them. BB was the only one to take the time to thank us during his set. I will never forget his graciousness.

BB’s stories on Sirius XM are great.

The first three notes of that sing sing show above are killer!
    Last edited by alltunes; 03-05-2022 at 02:12 PM.

User Info Menu

BB King. One of the classiest guys to play guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I find it surprising that we’re surprised that a professional musician knows things like chords and scales LOL. I mean, after all, it IS their job, and what do they have to do with their spare time other than learn it better?

I’m joking. I’ve heard BB talk quite a lot, in fact the Sirius XM Blues channel often has interviews with him, and not only can he tell a good story, but it’s impressive how much he knows about playing music that will get people feeling good and the music biz in general.

I saw him back in the 80’s at a festival in downtown Chattanooga. When he started singing about how his woman done him wrong and made him blue, the ENTIRE crowd said “uh huh”, well half the crowd. The other half shouted out when he sang about a woman’s no-good man. I haven’t seen a performer have a crowd so much in his pocket before or since.
    BB King may get underestimated because blues can be seen as a simple type of music. Well, until you try to sound as good as the Masters, anyway. Also, because he was a modest person.

In fact, BB was a great interview. He did Bill Maher's show years ago and spoke eloquently about politics and sociology.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed his autobiography.
    Love his records.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I enjoyed his autobiography.
    Love his records.
    For those who haven't seen the movie bio, "The Life of Riley", you should.

User Info Menu

From watching interviews etc I think King knew a lot more playing and theory than his blues licks that have become standards, his Christian impression in the above vid sounds alright in my opinion. It would be interesting if there is any stuff about of him playing other stuff, any one know of any?

User Info Menu

If everyone took some time to steal licks from T-Bone, Charlie, and Django, the world would be a much better place.

User Info Menu

Can I get an amen on that?