The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

I just heard on another board that Herb Ellis passed away last night at the age of 88. I do not of yet have independent confirmation of this, but I don't doubt the veracity of that claim, unfortunately.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't see any evidence of this claim anywhere.

User Info Menu

there's been some talk on a few boards, DS, but i haven't seen anything official.

if it is true, let's hope it was as they said, "peacefully in his sleep."

another reason we gotta appreciate these cats while they're still around!

User Info Menu

I love Herb. I think he's taught me more about jazz than any other single player. (This is not to say that he is the best--I'm not saying that--but that he shared his knowledge with other players in a way I found especially helpful, and continue to use.)

User Info Menu

they already udpated the wiki ...

Herb Ellis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

User Info Menu

He will be missed, Rest In Peace, Herb.

wiz

User Info Menu

I haven't seen any confirmation of this yet. There are claims in some forums, but no actual obit or news items...

Herb Ellis -- R.I.P. - Jazz Bulletin Board

Herb Ellis | Facebook

RIP Mitchell Herbert Ellis.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeffroi
    they already udpated the wiki ...

Herb Ellis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Well, it's been re-updated and according to wiki, he's not yet deceased. Pretty sad individual that would report a hoax (assuming this is a hoax).

Edit:I mean to say start a hoax (as being sad) as opposed to just reporting something they read.
    Last edited by Dystonian_Mode; 03-29-2010 at 06:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, it's true:Post Mortem - Obituaries from The Washington Post A true great, whose playing and influence will live on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobWay
    Unfortunately, it's true:Post Mortem - Obituaries from The Washington Post A true great, whose playing and influence will live on.
    That's too bad, my apologies then.

R.I.P Herb Ellis.

Truly one of the great...

User Info Menu

R.I.P Herb Elis

User Info Menu

I've been listening to Herb Ellis - mostly in duet contexts - for a long time. But I only recently realized how much his phrasing has profoundly influenced my own. He will be greatly missed.

User Info Menu

Sadly another one gone What a great influence on tens of thousands of guitarists for sure.
    He'll be greatly missed by us all.
    Never ever got to see him live but I was fortunate enough to catch the great Joe Pass a few years before his passing
    And what an influence he was too.
    Hugh.

User Info Menu

One of the all time greats, for sure. Respect.

RIP.

User Info Menu

thanks for all the great music and words of wisdom. RIP Herb.

User Info Menu

I just heard the news. This man had a TREMENDOUS influence on my playing. He and I went to the same college (in Herb's day, UNT had no guitar program, he studied bass) and we were from the same town

User Info Menu

What else can you say?

User Info Menu

Sad news indeed. A undoubted great of jazz guitar, and one of "that generation" of jazz guitarists (Kessel, Pass et al.) that changed the way we view what is possible on the guitar.

User Info Menu

I grew up listening to Herb Ellis because my family always played OScar Petterson records in the house.

A heavy blow to be honest I'm upset about it. He has been ill for quiet sometime, and with such a horrible illness in the end it must have been a relief for it to be over in some ways. However it doesn't cushion the blow any I'm sure for those who loved him as a person.

I never met him or saw him perform live. But his music makes him Immortal, and that at least gives me some comfort.

As time marches forward I'm dreading the news reports about Jim Hall, BB King, Sonny Rollins, Kenny Wheeler, Wayne Shorter etc etc etc. All those Musicians who influenced me so greatly.

RIP Herb Ellis.

User Info Menu

Frankly, it is a relief. Herb has been suffering from Alzheimer's for a decade. I know he was at home for a large chunk of that time. I don't know if his wife ever had him institutionalized or not. The Herb we all love and admire has been gone for a while.

A horrible disease that is so hard on families. RIP Herb, and thanks for such an extensive legacy of music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hanlon

As time marches forward I'm dreading the news reports about Jim Hall, BB King, Sonny Rollins, Kenny Wheeler, Wayne Shorter etc etc etc. All those Musicians who influenced me so greatly.

RIP Herb Ellis.
    Add Herbie Hancock, Pat Martino, and a few others, and you've just named my entire list of people I absolutely still have to see perform live before it's too late. Trying to plan a trip to Italy this summer against the odds to catch Sonny - him and Hall are my major inspirations for wanting to play jazz out of the current players.

RIP Herb, the world just got a little quieter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hanlon
    I grew up listening to Herb Ellis because my family always played OScar Petterson records in the house.

A heavy blow to be honest I'm upset about it. He has been ill for quiet sometime, and with such a horrible illness in the end it must have been a relief for it to be over in some ways. However it doesn't cushion the blow any I'm sure for those who loved him as a person.

I never met him or saw him perform live. But his music makes him Immortal, and that at least gives me some comfort.

RIP Herb Ellis.
    You know he went to UNT too

RIP Herb. He was a giant and will be missed. As people have already been posting, we can not let any opportunity slip by to see the living legends that are still active. Add Kenny Burrell, who lives in southern CA near me, to that list of must see. I am dreading news about another inactive giant like Herb, the great Johnny Smith. He is getting on in years and we just all need to take time to appreciate all these legends presence while they are still on this earth. We can all take comfort that Herb is once again in the best company and will keep on swingin'.

User Info Menu

Goodby, goodby but never forgotten -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzyteach65
    You know he went to UNT too
    yup