The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

It was a great gig... I admire Mike but Ed Cherry is really fantastic... I still love that old school drive which still sounds quite modern..

I also noticed kind of interesting ability of Mike - when he plays with some players with very distinctive style he changes his playing a bit too to fit their style better...

And it is is great what Mikes does with streams and deserves to be supported.

PS
    Mike uses some shimmering chord sounds on ballads like Body and Soul - who knows where it comes from? Some synth pedal?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That sounds like some kind of tremolo effect to me.

User Info Menu

Yeah I sent some Paypal cash over for this stream. Ed's tone and touch throughout were just amazing.

User Info Menu

Ed’s comping is off the chain

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Ed’s comping is off the chain
    He sounds loose and 'in the pocket' simultaneously ... at some points he is just like a kid who sits in the street strumming his guitar... but at the same time so sophisticated and tasty..

To me sounds much like developing Benson approach actually

User Info Menu

And here's their conversation after the set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Mike uses some shimmering chord sounds on ballads like Body and Soul - who knows where it comes from? Some synth pedal?
    Reverb, tremolo and some super fast rocking on a volume pedal.

User Info Menu

Sat in the second row at Small's in front of Ed Cherry. I can't recall whose gig. I could hear what he heard, since I was close enough to reach out and touch his guitar, and I could see exactly what he was doing. As I recall it, it was all time feel. He wasn't tearing up his ligaments with stretchy chords or anything like that. It was just perfect harmony and perfect timing. Great player.

I think my two most favourite styles of comping in small duo set are Ed's and Pete's.

...Then go Bill Frisell and John Stowell...
    They are very different - not so much strumming energy and rawness - more delicate nuances - but they swing so subtly.

User Info Menu

I wish this video wasn't private!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fortune
    I wish this video wasn't private!

You can get access to the live-streams and more by supporting Mike Moreno on his new Patreon page. Mike Moreno | Guitarist, Composer, Recording Artist | Patreon

User Info Menu

Thanks to the link to Mike's page, I will definitely subscribe.