The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi folks, hope you all doing fine.

Lately Ive been digging into these asian countries' s music, I would like to know if any know some jazz musicians from these countries. But not just straight standards jazz, players who also combine jazz with the typical music of their countries. Mostly, but not only, interested in piano players, and not so much in guitar players.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe not quite what you’re asking for, but I really like Otomo Yoshihide’s cover of Out to Lunch

Quote Originally Posted by osloutah
    Maybe not quite what you’re asking for, but I really like Otomo Yoshihide’s cover of Out to Lunch
    Didnt have that name on my list, gonna check it . I dont super enjoy that kind of songs, sometimes its interesting to listen some, but wouldnt stand a whole album like that. But thanks !

User Info Menu

Have you heard Hiromi from Japan? Here she is live with Anthony Jackson on bass and Simon Phillips on drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Have you heard Hiromi from Japan? Here she is live with Anthony Jackson on bass and Simon Phillips on drums.

Yes, havent dig a lot into her music, but the few minutes Ive heard from her are not my cup of tea. But thanks, maybe gonna check more of her later.

User Info Menu

Good Sounds
    This thread has lots of Japanese and other jazz guitar players.

User Info Menu

man-argentina -

Are you a lazy person? I just googled 'asian jazz' and got all sorts of things, artists, shows, what have you, all down the page. Why can't you do that too? Or must we post one thing at a time here which you dismiss, one at a time, as not your cup of tea?

Waste of time, don't you think?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    man-argentina -

Are you a lazy person? I just googled 'asian jazz' and got all sorts of things, artists, shows, what have you, all down the page. Why can't you do that too? Or must we post one thing at a time here which you dismiss, one at a time, as not your cup of tea?

Ragman, why are you being unkind?
    People are looking for some nice things and looking for opinions, I guess that's normal.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Ragman, why are you being unkind?
    I'm not being unkind, I'm saving him wasting his time and ours. We don't know what his 'cup of tea' is, do we? It's so stupid, he asks for help...big gap...we post something...big gap...he says he doesn't like it...big gap...we do it all again...

Ridiculous. Unless he's disabled he can look for himself, just like everyone else does. There are lists of the best Japanese/Chinese/Korean jazz acts around. He can filter them very quickly. Getting us to do it for him is silly, it's not rocket science.

(And you can bet your bottom dollar now he's going to absolutely love the album you just posted :-))

User Info Menu

I have no time.

man-argentina -

Well, this is a music forum, its also about interaction with other musicians and music lovers.

Lets say someone doesnt know anything about jazz, that person could just go to Wikipedia and start looking for jazz in youtube, and if have a doubt just google it, but also could use the forum to talk with people who have been years, decades, into jazz and see what they have found in so many years of their experience listening and digging into jazz.

Im asking for a very specific material, not something so simple as "just google it", there could be so many musicians that are not going to appear on the first results of google or youtube.

I know local musicians of my town that if any asks for musicians from Argentina they never gonna show up in google.

Again, there is a great value to ask to people that have done the path before than you.

I'm not being unkind, I'm saving him wasting his time and ours. We don't know what his 'cup of tea' is, do we? It's so stupid, he asks for help...big gap...we post something...big gap...he says he doesn't like it...big gap...we do it all again...

Ridiculous. Unless he's disabled he can look for himself, just like everyone else does. There are lists of the best Japanese/Chinese/Korean jazz acts around. He can filter them very quickly. Getting us to do it for him is silly, it's not rocket science.

(And you can bet your bottom dollar now he's going to absolutely love the album you just posted :-))
    Man, its just a forum, I ask for something and then if other people want to join they join, Im not pushing anyone to reply. Its just fun, have you ever heard about fun ?

Of course I do my own research about music, but because this forum exist, I use it, its also a tool.

And again, its also about to interact with other musicians !! Its not about just get facts.

And Im gonna listen the album they recommend me here, why you think Im just gonna love it ? Thats a very strange thought from you, why you think that ? Its just odd.

User Info Menu

You don't realize that you're being unkind? That...is incredibly diagnostic. It's discussion forum. It's not an "only stuff that I think should be discussed" forum. Maybe you're a great person just having a bad day, but stay away from the keyboard and don't take it out on people here. Too many people like that out there...we don't need 'em here.

User Info Menu

man-argentina -

I think we're not understanding each other. By the way, I'm not going to answer that other person. He said I was being diagnostic... and then proceeded to diagnose me! Totally wrongly, as it happens. So that's that. No one was having a bad day or anything.

I have to ask you again, then. How do we, or anyone here, know what your cup of tea is? Or your preference, or your like and dislike, or what excites you, or what does not? Obviously we don't. You've specified Oriental jazz (let's call it that) and that the piano interests you more than the guitar. That's all.

So how do we know? There may, by mere chance, be an expert on here on that particular kind of music but even they don't know. They may know their subject but unless they pass it by you, they don't know either.

So what do we do? We google like I did, because I'm helpful, and there are lists of the best Chinese/Japanese/Korean jazz pianists. And other lists of that kind of music.

What then? Go looking and select something I personally like? And post it and you say 'Not my cup of tea' and that's that. And so it goes on.

How do we know what you like? So we're quite obviously doing your homework for you, right? Which you could do far, far more quickly for yourself.

Don't brush it off as 'just having fun', it's not that at all. That's an excuse, a deception. It means, to answer you as helpfully as possible, we have to look around for you. Except, as I keep saying, we don't know what we're looking for.

So it's rather silly, isn't it? Well, it is to me but perhaps I have quite a serious mind and I can't help that.

You say you're using the forum as a tool. Quite right, you are. But by 'the forum' you mean real people, which means you're using people who are trying to help you. That might seem harsh but it's true, isn't it? Of course, some people don't mind being used, but that's up to them.

So I'm just repeating what I said before, unfortunately. You've got people looking for something (except they don't know what, which is absurd) and you just accept or reject it. That seems to me to be entirely the wrong kind of thing to do.

But anyway, if you want them to do it, and they want to do it, so be it. Except it would be far easier just to do it yourself, obviously, because only you really know what you want.

Is it all clear now? No one's having a bad day, I'm just telling you what I think. And, believe it or not, I'm still trying to help you by showing you a quicker way to what you want, right?

And Im gonna listen the album they recommend me here, why you think Im just gonna love it ? Thats a very strange thought from you, why you think that ?
    Because, if you've listened to it, it hasn't got any piano music on it, it's all traditional Japanese stuff. So apparently you're not going to like it, are you? So it was a waste of that person's time wasn't it? Or will you say it was really lovely?

man-argentina -

I think we're not understanding each other. By the way, I'm not going to answer that other person. He said I was being diagnostic... and then proceeded to diagnose me! Totally wrongly, as it happens. So that's that. No one was having a bad day or something.

I have to ask you again, then. How do we, or anyone here, know what your cup of tea is? Or your preference, or your like and dislike, or what excites you, or what does not? Obviously we don't. You've specified Oriental jazz (let's call it that) and that the piano interests you more than the guitar. That's all.

So how do we know? There may, by mere chance, be an expert on here on that particular kind of music but even they don't know. They may know their subject but unless they pass it by you, they don't know either.

So what do we do? We google. I did, because I'm helpful, and there are lists of the best Chinese/Japanese/Korean jazz pianists. And other lists of that kind of music.

What then? Go looking and select something I personally like? And post it and you say 'Not my cup of tea' and that's that. And so it goes on.

How do we know what you like? So we're quite obviously doing your homework for you, right? Which you could far, far more quickly for yourself.

Don't brush it off as 'just having fun', it's not that at all. That's an excuse, a deception. It means, to answer you as helpfully as possible, we have to look around for you. Except, as I keep saying, we don't know what we're looking for.

So it's rather silly, isn't it? Well, it is to me but perhaps I have quite a serious mind and I can't help that.

You say you're using the forum as a tool. Quite right, you are. But by 'the forum' you mean real people, which means you're using people who are trying to help you, wisely or not. That might seem harsh but it's true, isn't it? Of course, some people don't mind being used, but that's up to them.

So I'm just repeating what I said before, unfortunately. You've got people looking for something (except they don't know what, which is absurd) and you just accept or reject it. That seems to me to be entirely the wrong kind of thing to do.

But anyway, if you want them to do it, and they want to do it, so be it. Except it would be far easier just to do it yourself, obviously, because only you really know what you want.

Is it all clear now? No one's having a bad day, I'm just telling you what I think. And, believe it or not, I'm still trying to help you by showing you a quicker way to what you want, right?

Because, if you've listened to it, it hasn't got any piano music on it. It's all traditional Japanese stuff. So apparently you're not going to like it, are you? So it was a waste of that person's time wasn't it? Or will you say it was really lovely?
    I think you are over thinking all this. You gonna say that if to me this is just have some fun, but for you is an excuse, then its gonna be imposible to find an agreement, because this to me, is pretty simple, just a question on a forum, and wait to see what kind of replies I get, just that, a simple thing, all the things you said, are way too obvious, do you think I dont know I can google it? Of course I know. Do you think I dont know people gonna give me suggestions that are not my cup of tea ? Of course I know. Etc. But, ask here in the forum is just another option, so I do it, because is simple, just put the message here and see what replies I get, very very very simple. Stop over thinking !

User Info Menu

So have you found anything yet?

So have you found anything yet?
    Noy yet.

User Info Menu

But something must have started off your interest in this. What was it?

But something must have started off your interest in this. What was it?
    You mean my interest about to find Japanese/C/K jazz players that combine jazz with the traditional music of their countries ? Well, I like jazz, and also I like traditional asian music, and I think both styles could work very nice mixed, so I thought to start looking for it.

User Info Menu

I think the issue here is that it's not specific enough. Japan, China and Korea are big countries. You're going to have to look methodically. Start with, say, Japan and their jazz artists and find something that appeals. Then the other two countries. Whittle it down till you get a clearer picture.

You could start here.

Japanese jazz - Wikipedia

Lots of names. Here's one.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

I live in China and there are a lot of very good musicians both Chinese and expats. My band, (we are based in Beijing), and we are mixed of musicians from the US, China, Italy, Poland.

On our latest recording some of our music is derived from traditional Chinese music, as well as original compositions. Have a listen below, thanks!

Doug Martin

Doug Martin & Alchemy - Cosmos

User Info Menu

Erena Terakubo:

User Info Menu

Joey Alexander, if Indonesian counts...

User Info Menu

I watched the Emmet Cohen stream. Silberstein gets a convincing jazz tone from a Strat. Apparently a top-load hardtail with a humbucker at the neck. Makes me want to try one, almost.