User Info Menu

Here's a vid of them:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Al Norris

User Info Menu

What a great publicity photo!

User Info Menu

WM - are you sure it was Norris? Eddie Durham joined Lunceford's band in mid-1935 and was with him for at least 2 years. I can't see the guitarist in the film well enough to have any idea who he was, but it could have been Durham too. He did play an electrified guitar by '36, but he was often quoted as saying that he couldn't use it for rhythm because it was too loud. So I wonder if it was Norris or Durham on that '36 film. I can't find any documentation to help us.

User Info Menu

I'm almost positive, he's playing the same Epiphone Masterbilt guitar w/ asymetric headstock that Norris used through those yrs [you can see it @ 1:10] same as the still I posted.
    ps Norris was also a lighter skin man than Durham and didn't really look like him at all.

User Info Menu

I can't say if it's Al Norris, but I'm pretty sure it's not Eddie Durham. It's possible to get a pretty good view of his face while the sax is playing, and that looks nothing at all like Durham.

User Info Menu

just a note, Durham and Norris were both in the band in '36 on electric and acoustic respectively

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    just a note, Durham and Norris were both in the band in '36 on electric and acoustic respectively
    Durham also played trombone in the band and wrote many charts for them.