The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Just read this.

Practising classical guitar 10 hours a day leads to making a million per gig

Andy Summers his legendary Tele guitar and making 1 million per gig!!-screenshot_2022-01-25-11-19-39-86_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-jpg

Andy Summers his legendary Tele guitar and making 1 million per gig!!-screenshot_2022-01-25-11-20-48-19_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Andy Summers his legendary Tele guitar and making 1 million per gig!!-screenshot_2022-01-25-11-20-39-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think if you counted the average music-based income of all the people who’ve practised classical guitar for 10 hours per day, i doubt it would be $1,000 per annum ….

But I’m glad Andy Summers is making that money. Their music has brought a lot of joy to the world.

User Info Menu

Practising classical guitar 10 hours a day leads to making a million per gig
    No, it does not lead to this.
    Many things do... but practicing classical guitar 10 hrs per day is one of the last ones that would ever lead to it

User Info Menu

Correlation is not causation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    No, it does not lead to this.
    Many things do... but practicing classical guitar 10 hrs per day is one of the last ones that would ever lead to it
    I wouldn't even go as far as to say "many things do." Being in a band with Sting does.

User Info Menu

To his credit Summers has put out a lot of varied music since the Police. I have many of his CDs. I like them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    To his credit Summers has put out a lot of varied music since the Police. I have many of his CDs. I like them.
    I like his albums with Robert Fripp quite a bit.

He wrote and produced the documentary on the Police Can't Stand Losing You, featuring video he shot himself, which is one of the better rockumentaries out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Correlation is not causation.
    i agree 100%. I see the correlation - causation error often in my work and in the media.

in this case, there in NO correlation because there is only 1 data point showing this pattern. The exception is being highlighted, not the rule!

User Info Menu

Rubbish. Literally everyone who practices classical 10 hours a day is a multimillionaire and that’s just a FACT.

User Info Menu

i agree 100%. I see the correlation - causation error often in my work and in the media.
    In media it is mostly deliberate manipulation: no matter if it makes, it is important to sell news. Once it is sold who cares what is right or wrong there...

I think partly that news titles and slogans penetrate daily life, people unconsciously imitate them to attract attention like in commercials.

User Info Menu

He had played with Zoot Money, the Soft Machine and Eric Burdon, then, instead of pursuing fame and fortune, decided to study guitar at university. How many other rock guitarists have that sort of dedication to the instrument? Not many, if any.

User Info Menu

He played with Captain Beefheart too, but not on Trout Mask Replica, unless his alias in it is Zoot Horn Rollo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

'Bill Harkleroad, known professionally as Zoot Horn Rollo, is an American guitarist. He is best known for his work with Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band. In 2003, he was ranked No. 62 in a Rolling Stone magazine list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time.'

Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    He had played with Zoot Money, the Soft Machine and Eric Burdon, then, instead of pursuing fame and fortune, decided to study guitar at university. How many other rock guitarists have that sort of dedication to the instrument? Not many, if any.

Yeah ... As I remember from his book "one train later" he cut his teeth in his hometown (Bournemouth?) together with Zoot Money.

They left for London together had a steady 6-7 days a week gig a week with Zoot as bandleader in the Zoot Money Big Roll Band

That evolved into Dantalian's Chariot

At 0:55 there is Andy playing that m11 chord that defined Walking on the Moon by The Police 10 years later.

The studying classical guitar phase seems a bit accidental .. He happened to be in California when Eric Burdon broke up the Animals and totally worn out he just pulled the plug and lived a low key life of studying/teaching guitar for quite a number of years ... Then according to his book one day he just woke up, said enough of this and stepped on a flight to London with his Tele that he bought from one of his students

He met Sting and Stewart thru Mike Howlett (ex-gong) that needed a drummer for a concert in Paris. Stewart was the guy and with Sting tagged along thru Stewart. Not long after The Police replaced Henry Padovani with Andy and the rest is history.

User Info Menu

Speaking of classical music ... The guitar part on every breath you take is heavily inspired by Bela Bartok's violin duets that Andy was practicing on the guitar at the time of recording Synchronicity

User Info Menu

I believe Andy Summers also took a few lessons with Ted Greene.

User Info Menu

Saw him with Kevin Coyne (& Zoot money) many years ago..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yeah ... As I remember from his book "one train later" he cut his teeth in his hometown (Bournemouth?) together with Zoot Money.

They left for London together had a steady 6-7 days a week gig a week with Zoot as bandleader in the Zoot Money Big Roll Band

That evolved into Dantalian's Chariot

At 0:55 there is Andy playing that m11 chord that defined Walking on the Moon by The Police 10 years later.

The studying classical guitar phase seems a bit accidental .. He happened to be in California when Eric Burdon broke up the Animals and totally worn out he just pulled the plug and lived a low key life of studying/teaching guitar for quite a number of years ... Then according to his book one day he just woke up, said enough of this and stepped on a flight to London with his Tele that he bought from one of his students

He met Sting and Stewart thru Mike Howlett (ex-gong) that needed a drummer for a concert in Paris. Stewart was the guy and with Sting tagged along thru Stewart. Not long after The Police replaced Henry Padovani with Andy and the rest is history.
    Brilliant expose! I saw a program by the singer of AC/DC who is visiting his famous friends and one is Sting who told how Stewart wanted to make a punk band (Sting had books of jazz standards under his belt).
    Now I start doubting myself, I recall Andy telling Rolling Stone mag how Beefheart would call him n the middle of the night about a riff or a line?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    one is Sting who told how Stewart wanted to make a punk band (Sting had books of jazz standards under his belt).
    Now I start doubting myself,

I've read all their biographies .. They kinda blur together for me tho ... Andy's book "One train later" is amazing, while Stings and Stewards are so so ..

But indeed .. There where basically only punk gigs in London in 77-78 and Stewart was indeed very keen on playing punk.

This is The Police's first single .. Henry Padovani on guitar.

What turned that band from punk to The Police everyone fell in love with was partly the arrival of Andy

And then according to one of the above books another critical point in time is that they shortly after the arrival of Andy got hired to do a series of experimental avantgarde concerts with Eberhard Schoener in Germany. During one of those performances/jams String really let rip and it was the first time they really realized just how huge his vocal range was after which they pushed him to sing like that in The Police too.

I don't know if that is true, but it makes for a good story.

User Info Menu

I was fortunate to see them play at the Paridise Night Club in Boston, MA. This was when Roxanne had just been released. I had a seat right in front of Andy. I also grabbed a set of Stewarts drum sticks! It was the famous night when after the Paridise show they went over to the "Rat" and played another show unanounced. I had a chance to talk with Andy and I was thinking, how old is this guy? He was 38 at that time. He was a real nice guy. He had a huge peddle board and I can't remember if he said it was made by Bob Bradshaw. Looking at his gear I would say he didn't look to be poor!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    He played with Captain Beefheart too, but not on Trout Mask Replica, unless his alias in it is Zoot Horn Rollo.
    Holy crap--what are the chances AS played in a band with a guy named Zoot, and also in a band which employed another guitarist named Zoot? The mind boggles.

Did he play on Zoot Allures as well? Ever played with Zoot Sims?

I gotta take a nap now.

User Info Menu

I edited a music review column for my high school newspaper--wrote some retrospectively cringe-worthy reviews myself as I recall--and solicited albums from major labels for review. One of the promos I got about 1978 was called "No Wave"--on clear vinyl--featuring up and coming punk and New Wave groups.

One of the songs was Roxanne by the Police, and also a song by Klark Kent, AKA Andy Summers. There were a couple of interesting UK Squeeze and Stranglers songs. I still have the album, maybe worth a couple of $$$ now.

I hate to say it, but I can't remember if I saw The Police live or not back in the day. I don't think I did--I was more into other bands at the time. I do think my then-girlfriend saw them and told me about it, so maybe that's why I think I *might* have seen them. A lot of that time period is hazy TBH...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I edited a music review column for my high school newspaper--wrote some retrospectively cringe-worthy reviews myself as I recall--and solicited albums from major labels for review. One of the promos I got about 1978 was called "No Wave"--on clear vinyl--featuring up and coming punk and New Wave groups.

One of the songs was Roxanne by the Police, and also a song by Klark Kent, AKA Andy Summers. There were a couple of interesting UK Squeeze and Stranglers songs. I still have the album, maybe worth a couple of $$$ now.

I hate to say it, but I can't remember if I saw The Police live or not back in the day. I don't think I did--I was more into other bands at the time. I do think my then-girlfriend saw them and told me about it, so maybe that's why I think I *might* have seen them. A lot of that time period is hazy TBH...
    Klark Kent
    Album
    Klark Kent is the debut solo album of Stewart Copeland, and the first solo album recorded by any band member of The Police. The album was released in 1980 as a 10 inch EP on green vinyl.Wikipedia

You sure?

User Info Menu

Klark Kent
    Album
    Klark Kent is the debut solo album of Stewart Copeland, and the first solo album recorded by any band member of The Police. The album was released in 1980 as a 10 inch EP on green vinyl.Wikipedia

You sure?
    Oh well .. Might as well turn this into a The Police appreciation thread

The sound in this clip isn't all that stellar, but if you're interested here is Stewart telling the story of Klark Kent

In the early days of The Police while they still where an unknown punk band he had couple of goofy songs that Sting refused to perform, so he recorded and released them all by himself

The culmination of Klark Kent was this performance on Top of The Pops.

Yes, that is a masked Sting and Andy in the background ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Fish
    I believe Andy Summers also took a few lessons with Ted Greene.
    Yes, Ted told me that once or twice; maybe i came in just after, as Ted was not one to bring attn to himself.