The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"This is the 1985 recording featuring the inaugural pairing of two phenomenal jazz guitarists, Ed Bickert and Lorne Lofsky, performing together in a quartet setting with Neil Swainson (bass) and Jerry Fuller (drums). Originally released on vinyl (Unisson DDA-1002), this long out-of-print session has now been re-mastered for digital release in 2022 by Cornerstone Records Inc."

Ed Bickert ? Lorne Lofsky Quartet

I never had the chance to listen to this album. It's nice to be able to listen to it now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been on the look out for a decent vinyl copy for a while. Nice to be able to hear it now!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up. I literally just got a used LP copy of this record in the mail a week ago, and haven't had access to a turntable to hear it.

The Cornerstone records website doesn't mention it, but you can also by the full-res download from Qobuz.com, in additional to 7-digital. The standard 16-bit version is a couple of bucks cheaper on Qobuz, fwiw: Album Ed Bickert/Lorne Lofsky Quartet, Ed Bickert | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality

The original label, Unisson, also recorded Bickert the year before this as a member of a Rob McConnell sextet ("Old Friends/New Music"), a record similar in concept to the later "Jive 5" album on Concord. I hope this means some other Unisson titles (including that one) might be showing up as digital downloads. There are a couple of live recordings of the late great stride pianist Dick Wellstood on Unisson that never came out on CD.

Speaking of Bickert...three more things:

1. I recently stumbled on a 1994 quintet album led by tenor sax player Jamie Mitges that features Ed in the rhythm section with no pianist stepping on him. You can hear all the tracks on Youtube here: Jamie Mitges and the Jazz Legends - YouTube
    2. Some Bickert rarities (probably of interest only the the most dedicated) went up on Youtube last week here: Jim Dixon - YouTube
    3. If anyone has a line on how to get a copy of "Dance to the Lady" duet record with Bickert and Don Thompson on piano, let me know!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard

1. If anyone has a line on how to get a copy of "Dance to the Lady" duet record with Bickert and Don Thompson on piano, let me know!
    Two copies currently available on Discogs: Don Thompson, Ed Bickert - Dance To The Lady (Vinyl, Canada, 1980) For Sale | Discogs

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up - will listen today on Apple Music!

Ed Bickert/Lorne Lofsky Quartet by Ed Bickert on Apple Music

User Info Menu

ED Tele & Lorne LP

User Info Menu

There's clearly one guitarist in each ear on my headphones. Does anyone know who is on which side of the mix? The cover suggests Bickert on the left, and I think that sounds right.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gladders
    There's clearly one guitarist in each ear on my headphones. Does anyone know who is on which side of the mix? The cover suggests Bickert on the left, and I think that sounds right.
    The credits on the back confirm your ears.

Ed Bickert – Lorne Lofsky Quartet (1985 recording reissued)-r-3839338-1394508453-6773-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks. That's encouraging. I'm generally quite cloth-eared.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk