The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

The first number on this clip dispels pretty powerfully the myth, if anyone still holds to it, that Ms. Krall is just a pretty pianist who does standards. The interplay with the whole band, but especially with Wilson, is stunning.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That combination of exceptional players was a highlight in any way ... as much as I love Jeff Hamilton's drumming - especially his SOUND and the way he uses brushes - Peter Erskine drives a band like no one else.

User Info Menu

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Name me one person that's done more for the visibility of great jazz guitar than Diana has in recent decades.

And it's an impressive list of players to boot. She has a really fine way of working with guitar. Probably has something to do with her vast experience.

Of course, I'm probably a bit biased having been born on the same island as she.

User Info Menu

Give her points for putting herself out there. Give her more for incredible endurance.

Her voice is sultry and has a limited range and dynamic. But she's polished her singing over the years.

Her playing is very solid and interesting.

She is among the best we have. She keeps cool jazz thriving.

And then there are the surprises.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting. I love Anthony Wilson's playing. They are burning right off the top

User Info Menu

Diana's the real deal and during her long career she has continued to study piano with a variety of teachers including Jimmy Rowles and Alan Broadbent. Her playing today is much more complex than her earlier playing. Her vocals, for me, have always been reminiscent of Shirley Horn and she does many of Shirley's classic tunes. She's honed her skills in the best teaching venue-- on the road. Five stars *****.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The first number on this clip dispels pretty powerfully the myth, if anyone still holds to it, that Ms. Krall is just a pretty pianist who does standards. The interplay with the whole band, but especially with Wilson, is stunning.
    My take on her has always been that she's a really good pianist and bandleader who also happens to be a very good singer. In terms of appearance, she strikes me as within the range of normally pretty (as opposed to movie-star sex-bomb gorgeous). There are singers whose talents (or lack thereof) I might ignore in order to gawk. But to me her talent:beauty ratio skews so far to the talent side that to the extent that I might fall into lookist or sexist traps in general, I find that to be a non-issue with her. Obviously, this is a de gustibus eye of the beholder ymmv kind of thing, but that's how it looks to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    My take on her has always been that she's a really good pianist and bandleader who also happens to be a very good singer. In terms of appearance, she strikes me as within the range of normally pretty (as opposed to movie-star sex-bomb gorgeous). There are singers whose talents (or lack thereof) I might ignore in order to gawk. But to me her talent:beauty ratio skews so far to the talent side that to the extent that I might fall into lookist or sexist traps in general, I find that to be a non-issue with her. Obviously, this is a de gustibus eye of the beholder ymmv kind of thing, but that's how it looks to me.
    Agreed- I think there was a stretch where her labels were trying to exploit her appearance, but it doesn't seem to have gotten to her particularly. I think she's a lovely woman, but honestly, I am so distracted by the music I sort of roll it all up into a single perception. She just plays the heck out of that piano and sings like nobody else I know of. And she has done so much to feature guitarists in her ensembles, that alone makes her a winner for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Wow, you actually went there.

So what’s on tap next, a swimsuit competition with Hiromi? (After the evening dress and gown competitions - of course!)

User Info Menu

That guitar sounds terrific (along with the playing of course).

Where can we get one?

User Info Menu

Anthony is an amazing underrated player. I had had the privilege of seeing Diana at the Montreal Jazz Festival with Peter Bernstein. She can hang with the best...

User Info Menu

I just discovered Anthony Wilson. First contact was East of the Sun (and West of the Moon) in Paris with Diana Krall in 2001. That video alone propelled him in the short list my favorite guitarists ever. Everything I've heard since (including his forays in tele-accompanied singing) confirm. What an incredible musical talent! What taste!

User Info Menu

Awesome. And I can't believe the size of that crowd. Anyone know the name of the venue in Montreal??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    I just discovered Anthony Wilson. First contact was East of the Sun (and West of the Moon) in Paris with Diana Krall in 2001. That video alone propelled him in the short list my favorite guitarists ever. Everything I've heard since (including his forays in tele-accompanied singing) confirm. What an incredible musical talent! What taste!
    FYI, Anthony Wilson is the guitar player in the latest Charles Lloyd album from his Trios series: Trios: Ocean (Live)

(the first album featured Julian Lage, the next and third will feature Bill Frisell)

User Info Menu

Somehow I don’t seem to be able to edit my post above.
    I was confused: the first volume of the Trios series was with Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan, the second is with Anthony Wilson and Gerald Clayton.
    The third will be with Julian Lage and Zakir Hussain.

User Info Menu

Anthony & Diana is another gift this forum gave me. Grateful forever.

User Info Menu

Anthony Wilson is a fantastic player. Very in the pocked and intuitive. And they seem to get along well together, playing off each other. I really like his tone in Paris - his Birdland through a Twin Reverb. . . .

Diana Krall is just. . . wow. I'm glad she has achieved a level of popularity that keeps those standards alive.

User Info Menu

Another Anthony Wilson fan here. He has great taste and a very song-oriented conception for his soloing.

Diana is a very well rounded jazz pianist who worked hard for her skills. The thing I hear in her singing is her feeling for rhythm and rhythmic displacement that comes out of her piano playing. She really has a great sense of when to sound languid, sultry and legato and when to phrase with monk-like displacement of the lyric by as much as a full beat. I agree that the record labels, early on, tried to sell sex first and music second - not surprising. Diana really rose above all that on talent and focus and I always go to the music first and foremost.

User Info Menu

One more kudo: The quality of her officially released audio recordings is top of the heap. If you have not listened on a very high quality sound system, you should make the effort to do so. It can be jaw dropping; like being in the room with Diana the band.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The wonderment goes on. On YT you can find the whole concert they did in Rio in 2008. I'm listening to it right now. Some of the cuts belong in the category "greatest performances ever" (Cheek to cheek), and at this point it no longer makes sense to single out Anthony Wilson's contribution because they are all at the absolute top of artistic expression on their instruments. Plus the interplay! That is jazz as I dream of it.