The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Anyone listen to Joey Defrancesco's latest More Music? Holy mother of Zeus...is that guy talented.

I was listening to this, thinking the horn players were the second coming of Miles and Cannonball, then read online that it was JOEY playing both trumpet and tenor sax. Apparently during the pandemic, while the rest of us were complaining about no gigs, Joey PICKED UP A COMPLETE NEW INSTRUMENT. That guy is a monster, and not just of the keyboard.

Really, I can't think of ANYONE who can play keys and horns at the level he does. I would propose him as one of our most talented multi-instrumentalists alive. Oh, and he sings on the album too...not too bad...at least as good as Buddy Rich.

As always, he swings like a mofo. His bass riffs are a thing of beauty in an of themselves. He has a trio with drummer Michael Ode and organist/guitarist Lucas Brown, who is no slouch at either. I am not too familiar with him, but he is pretty well known in jazz circles, apparently. Another great Philadelphia jazz organist. Drummer Michael is from Philly as well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Anyone listen to Joey Defrancesco's latest More Music? Holy mother of Zeus...is that guy talented.

Saw him about 4 years ago with Larry Coryell at Cork Jazz Festival in Ireland. He was as happy playing trumpet as he was playing keyboards and now he plays sax as well. Guitarists, you have been warned.

User Info Menu

He's too good. It's good to have him representing jazz. Blends classic and modern very well. Is a technical beast, but uses it for good. Then he does his other instruments and you expect it to be a gimmick and then he dominates at those also!

User Info Menu

Pretty sure I remember seeing Joey D. at Ronnie Scotts years ago, simultaneously playing organ with one hand and trumpet with the other! Some people are just too talented!

User Info Menu

Seen him do the organ to sax to trumpet thing too...

he said it was fairly easy to learn to play trumpet because he would watch Miles on stage & just copy where he (Miles) put his fingers.

Great tip.

User Info Menu

Given that you need only two fingers to cover most of the trumpet‘s notes, this is indeed sound advice.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Pretty sure I remember seeing Joey D. at Ronnie Scotts years ago, simultaneously playing organ with one hand and trumpet with the other! Some people are just too talented!
    I saw him do the same thing in the basement of The Little Nell a few years ago, and he also sang a tune or two. Dan Wilson was on the guitar. After the show Joey was signing CDs and I let him know how much I enjoyed his work with McLaughlin in the 90s. He said "that was a long time ago".

I have to admit that's true, but I don't care.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    I saw him do the same thing in the basement of The Little Nell a few years ago, and he also sang a tune or two. Dan Wilson was on the guitar. After the show Joey was signing CDs and I let him know how much I enjoyed his work with McLaughlin in the 90s. He said "that was a long time ago".

I have to admit that's true, but I don't care.
    Joey might have been indirectly trying to say: Don't you like anything I've done in the last few years?

User Info Menu

yep

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Joey might have been indirectly trying to say: Don't you like anything I've done in the last few years?
    Lol, Absolutely. But the simple fact is that I am a guitar fan and while I really like the Hammond B3 players I discovered Joey D through McLaughlin ( as did everyone AFAIK). And guitar organ trios are special. I think that Joey D was perfect for McLaughlin, as was Dennis Chambers.

User Info Menu

ultimo ! native genius !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Given that you need only two fingers to cover most of the trumpet‘s notes, this is indeed sound advice.
    I used to play trumpet through a vocal harmonizer for “horn section” riffs while playing keys with my left hand. It works great for the blues. The hard part is playing in two keys at once. The harder part is maintaining an embouchure!

Trumpet chops require regular exercise and they weaken rapidly if you don’t practice enough. I’m in awe of those who can play across a full range for hours. I could sustain high C during the first tune, but I couldn’t even hit it by the third set.

User Info Menu

Are you Nicholas Payton ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Are you Nicholas Payton ?
    Clearly not - he can still hit high C at the end of the night.