The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Congratulations to ReginaldSchwager for his appointment to the Order of Canada (member). He is recognized for his indelible contributions to the Canadian jazz scene as a leading guitarist and composer.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't believe this is "our" Reg if that was what you were inferring?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    What is Reg's proper (real?) name anyway?

User Info Menu

How many Reg Schwagers are there in Canada who play jazz guitar? I've only heard of the one.

Governor General announces 135 new appointments to the Order of Canada | The Governor General of Canada

Reg Schwager

User Info Menu

Whether he's 'our' Reg or not, Schwager is a tremendous player.

I remember playing my first gig at a pizza joint on Queen West in about 1987 - Reg came in for a slice. I was terrified.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    I didn’t think about that. I dunno anything about our Reg except his contributions are always interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Whether he's 'our' Reg or not, Schwager is a tremendous player.

I remember playing my first gig at a pizza joint on Queen West in about 1987 - Reg came in for a slice. I was terrified.
    Yikes, that would be intimidating. I had a similar thing happen to me when playing an early career gig in Alymer Quebec. I was backing a singer and taking solo guitar choruses. I look up and a distinguished looking man is standing over me watching everything. I recognized his face but could not put a name to it. I knew that he was a heavy duty player or some sort. At the end of the gig he came over and was very complementary. He then introduced himself as Art Maiste a pianist for the Montreal Symphony, who played with Maynard Ferguson, Sammy Davis, Toots, and Michel Legrand. I just about fell off my chair and thanked the stars the gig was over. I would have froze.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo
    I didn’t think about that. I dunno anything about our Reg except his contributions are always interesting.
    I remember "our Reg" (the one that contributes to this forum), said he was doing gigs in the San Francisco \ Napa area.

User Info Menu

The ‘Reg’ on this forum is not Reg Schwager, there have been posts in the past where he confirmed this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I remember "our Reg" (the one that contributes to this forum), said he was doing gigs in the San Francisco \ Napa area.
    I did some quick research, comparing the photo of Reg Schwager and "our Reg." They are indeed different people.

Reg Schwager does have a Youtube Channel with some nice playing that you might enjoy.

They are different souls, but congrats to him all the same. I am sure it took years of hard work and dedication on his part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The ‘Reg’ on this forum is not Reg Schwager, there have been posts in the past where he confirmed this.
    Reg isn't even his real name (but quite possibly a nickname). I'll say no more!

User Info Menu

Both Reg's are great players.

I've had the pleasure of sitting in with this forum's Reg -- which feels like a great guitar lesson every time.

I also have a quick story about the other Reg.

Some years ago, I found myself sitting next to Reg Schwager, reading the same part. Neither of us had seen it before.

I could read it. But, Reg read the same thing, played it perfectly and, most impressive, with authority. No hesitancy, no tentativeness. Played the part with confidence, like he'd been practicing it all his life. The difference was dramatic.

It was one of the first times I was exposed that clearly to the difference between an amateur and a pro. It's a very interesting experience to be there, together, trying to do the exact same thing -- and hearing the difference.

There's a big leap from not playing guitar to playing at a high amateur level. There is another big leap to go from there to pro level.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 12-30-2021 at 09:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Meanwhile in New Zealand, Rodger Fox, leader of the big band that bears his name, has been made a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Reg isn't even his real name (but quite possibly a nickname). I'll say no more!
    I never knew that until now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    There's a big leap from not playing guitar to playing at a high amateur level. There is another big leap to go from there to pro level.
    Oh, so true!

One of the reasons that I don't much like to play in public is that I don't play at a professional level, and it is embarrassing to have well-meaning people come up to me and talk about how well I play. Judged as an amateur, I'm not too bad; as a professional, I'm a hack. There is an order of magnitude between amateur and professional (and for that matter an order of magnitude difference between being a keen amateur where I live and being a keen amateur in, say, New York City. In New York, they'd be asking me if I was thinking about taking up jazz).

Yeah. It's the Bay Area for our Reg. He's always been somewhat anonymous.

Ironically, there is a kind of honesty which is possible when you don't have to constantly deny your motives for notoriety/income otherwise. For whatever reason, he's not interested in talking about himself as much.

It's a shame. I actually love the personal stories of members like Henry and Joel. Those are kind of the best parts in a lot of ways. Many of us don't have a jazz scene or old players sitting around telling tales. Anyway, he's always wanted to be about the music rather than himself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Yeah. It's the Bay Area for our Reg. He's always been somewhat anonymous.

Ironically, there is a kind of honesty which is possible when you don't have to constantly deny your motives for notoriety/income otherwise. For whatever reason, he's not interested in talking about himself as much.

It's a shame. I actually love the personal stories of members like Henry and Joel. Those are kind of the best parts in a lot of ways. Many of us don't have a jazz scene or old players sitting around telling tales. Anyway, he's always wanted to be about the music rather than himself.
    Yeah, to be able to tell stories so freely, you have to be able to weather the attacks that will surely come. While few in number, I am sure they still are annoying. Reg (our Reg) obviously does not need the validation. Several of the other more advanced players on this forum seem to have the same philosophy. They are not needy in the slightest.