The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are usually many skilled and nice mainstream players and teachers but when I came across Harry Leahy I felt there was some kind if authencity and very natural musical flow in his playing.. something you cannot learn by the books or academies

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And a really decent guy! Thanks for posting this Jonah.
    Harry was playing a restaurant in Watchung New Jersey, we were there with a couple we knew from sailing. Dinner arrives, the guy dives his first cut into his whatever steak with such force that the entire plate and steak went ‘sailing’ then crashing on a stone floor. I will never forget Harry looking up (we were in line of sight) and him laughing hysterically while still playing as hard as ever! Can still see him laughing with his Roland JC77 up on a bar stool next to him)))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    There are usually many skilled and nice mainstream players and teachers but when I came across Harry Leahy I felt there was some kind if authencity and very natural musical flow in his playing.. something you cannot learn by the books or academies

He studied with Johnny Smith. That might've helped.

User Info Menu

Harry is on this great Phil Woods Lp.

User Info Menu

Harry Leahy is incredible yeah

I believe Steely Dan’s Jon Herrington studied chord melody with Harry

HL gets the top line melody
    to speak really well over all the moving harmony , amazing control

anyone know did he play pick and fingers like Ed Bickert who could control the melodies volume against the chords really well too)

User Info Menu

Harry was legendary, I grew up a couple of towns away. His son is my age (and is a great player in his own right).

I was too young to go hear him at the regular gigs he had, at the Golden Putter, but I heard him a few times in later years.

I know several people who studied with him, though I regret missing the chance. A few years ago I found a guy who studied with him for several years, and he taught me Harry's chord system.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    Harry was legendary, I grew up a couple of towns away. His son is my age (and is a great player in his own right).

I was too young to go hear him at the regular gigs he had, at the Golden Putter, but I heard him a few times in later years.

I know several people who studied with him, though I regret missing the chance. A few years ago I found a guy who studied with him for several years, and he taught me Harry's chord system.
    What was Harry's chord system?

User Info Menu

Jginnj
    I was at Harrys service Tal and i drove up together from the shore.
    I recall they had a record player going with his playing in the room. Made a big impact, it was so emotional.
    But most of all Ive never forgotten his son’s talking about his Dad. How Harry would play different things for him when he was a little tyke, making the guitar ‘laugh and cry’. He was very young then, suppose high school?
    but gave a beautiful eulogy about his Dad. Anyway, long time ago, but obviously his son loved him very much!
    Really weird it was the same funeral home we said goodbye to my favorite cousin!
    jk