The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a classic format. Oscar Peterson, Nat Cole, and many, many others.

User Info Menu

A 21st-century example -- Ron Carter's "Golden Striker Trio" from 2002, with Mulgrew Miller and Russell Malone:

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    That's a classic format. Oscar Peterson, Nat Cole, and many, many others.
    Man, I know)))

But it is not so often that they play drumless today

And I particularly appreciate this..

User Info Menu

I always think of that format being largely superseded by the drum piano trio when pianists started following Bill Evans lead and realising they could exercise a lot of harmonic freedom, and with bassists like La Faro showing how the double bass could step up to the plate as a solo/contrapuntal foil to the piano ….

Perhaps the same for the classic guitar trio which I enjoy for similar reasons. guitarists started occupying the same territory as the piano during the 60s, by comping more and playing rhythm less, which come to think of it may have been a mistake haha… take on the piano and pianists at your peril… but drums can’t play melodies…

(hence also the thing about piano and guitar ‘clashing’. Metheny started strumming rhythm again albeit more in a pop/rock style which may have helped him play with Lyle.)

But for old school bop and swing P/G/B is a great format, can swing super hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I always think of that format being largely superseded by the drum piano trio when pianists started following Bill Evans lead and realising they could exercise a lot of harmonic freedom, and with bassists like La Faro showing how the double bass could step up to the plate as a solo/contrapuntal foil to the piano ….

Perhaps the same for the classic guitar trio which I enjoy for similar reasons. guitarists started occupying the same territory as the piano during the 60s, by comping more and playing rhythm less, which come to think of it may have been a mistake haha… take on the piano and pianists at your peril… but drums can’t play melodies…

(hence also the thing about piano and guitar ‘clashing’. Metheny started strumming rhythm again albeit more in a pop/rock style which may have helped him play with Lyle.)

But for old school bop and swing P/G/B is a great format, can swing super hard.
    To be honest I do not dig drums ... often it sounds as if they obscure the music to me. Of course there are great exceptions like Rudy Royston, Ray Haynes, Bill Stewart and some others ... I acknowledge there are great personalities at theat art too but in general it is just probably not my music..

So when I hear drumless group I understand no-one is going to beat the cans across nice and interesting harmonies)))

It turned out to be lovely show - very driving and at the same time concentrated and intimate playing.
    I think that all three musicians were much focused on each other and all had similar musical approach.

Check it, it is available on Smalls FB page

(and no-one was clashing the plates in the middle of the chords)

User Info Menu

One of my favourite recordings of Peter Bernstein is a piano/guitar/bass trio album under Bill Charlap's name, 'I'm Old Fashioned', with Peter Washington on bass.

Released on 2010 on Venus Records (which produces a lot of recordings of the more "straight-ahead" NYC jazz musicians for the Japanese market)

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    One of my favourite recordings of Peter Bernstein is a piano/guitar/bass trio album under Bill Charlap's name, 'I'm Old Fashioned', with Peter Washington on bass.

Released on 2010 on Venus Records (which produces a lot of recordings of the more "straight-ahead" NYC jazz musicians for the Japanese market)

Thank you very much!
    Never heard of it!