The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ever notice how you never see Jeff and Norman in the same room? Gotta be a phone booth nearby when one of ‘em shows up!

Hope you don’t mind Mr B.
    All done with respect and admiration. Norman showed up in my YT feed this morning. I might be a little buzzed on coffee too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jeff plays better than Norman, it's a fact.

But Norman writes better songs :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Jeff plays better than Norman, it's a fact.

But Norman writes better songs :-)

Couldn’t let this lie……I am sure Jeff would agree that in his prime Norman’s flat picking was unparralled.

User Info Menu

Lol, hey, ill take any comparison to a cat as heavy as Norman! I suppose I did look a bit like young Norman, then...I haven't had that much hair in quite a while. And playing a Taylor!

Tony Rice maybe could outpick him, but Norman's versatility is downright amazing. A legend.

User Info Menu

Maybe Jeff is Norman’s long lost son. Hey, I found my dad on the internet, thanks to Ancestry.com. (Long story, but that’s the gist of it.) Weirder things have happened.

I saw Norman once about 1981 or 2. It was a good show, just him and Nancy. He was born in the same city as me (Chattanooga) and currently lives not too far from where I grew up, in Sulfur Springs AL. He recently would play in Chattanooga a bit, and my old neighbor frequently accompanied him on bass. (My neighbor is a stand-up guy like that.)

I don’t know if he plays much in public now, since he’s more or less retired and had a stroke a couple of years ago, which slowed him down a bit.

Speaking of Norman and Tony, here’s one of my favorites, with them and the great Doc Watson.

Norman has a nice, smooth flat picking style, not too flashy, but very clean. He also has a great voice for those old country songs.