The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Posts 251 to 264 of 264

User Info Menu

By "young guitarist", we mean "young straight-ahead jazz guitarist", I presume?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Eddie Van Halen all the way

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    By "young guitarist", we mean "young straight-ahead jazz guitarist", I presume?
    Not necessarily.

If there’s a young McLaughlin, Metheny, or Holdsworth around let us know, please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Not necessarily.

If there’s a young McLaughlin, Metheny, or Holdsworth around let us know, please.
    As in someone with their own sound?

the most original guitarist I’ve heard recently is Reinier Baas, though I think he’s older than he looks

And of course Pasquale who might not be doing anything new for piano, but when it comes to guitar…..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

the most original guitarist I’ve heard recently is Reinier Baas, though I think he’s older than he looks

And of course Pasquale who might not be doing anything new for piano, but when it comes to guitar…..
    Couple things.... 1. Interesting approach to the hot B conundrum. I must say i've been tempted, myself.

2. This sort of presentations illustrates the fundamental predicament of the artist, namely, who is paying all these talented and hard-working professional musicians? Certainly not working for the door, this bunch, nor less than scale, I'd wager. Some societies make some provision for patronage, either private or public, or both. Here in the colonies we take a more hard-nosed approach: pay as you go, and devil take the hind-most, every man for himself. Zappa made a number of public statements on that subject, as I recall, and expressed his thoughts much better than I do.
    Just some idle musings...

User Info Menu

Mixed feelings about the social mediafication of music - its an easy platform to get out on, but then you get the clickbait game. Its hard, particularly if you dont pay for youtube red, to actually listen to music on the platform without getting distracted by something else

does no one out out albums anymore? I get that streaming pays s###, but would love some solo recordings from Tim Lerch or Martin Taylor (or Chad LB), but get that there is no money in it.

also wonder the extent to which a few ‘superstar’ youtube teachers are eroding the market for private lessons

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

Surprise orchestra!

User Info Menu

Wow, I had regrets about starting this thread (in the way that I did), but it has yielded unsuspected fruits in the form of Callum Allardice from NZ and now Reinier Baas (thanks Christian). Even more interesting for me, is that he composed that piece. I literally dream of playing in that kind of ensemble: prog jazz, hehe. I just don't have enough time to keep abreast of everything. Now, someone was asking about the new Methenys of this world?

PS check out Sandra Hempel for "own voice" originality, too.

User Info Menu

IMHO Music is timeless, I still enjoying the classics.
    This reminds me, when some criticize that we play standards, "It's old music they say, why don't you play original compositions?" as if I was going to compose better than Van Heusen.
    On the other hand, music played by humans, let's say, is in deep crisis. It's difficult that in these moments of "snack culture" guys like Joe Pass or Jim Hall can appear.
    I am a professor of social communication at higher levels (highscool and University) and I see a high percentage of disinterest in what refers to this generation, for the music played and above all, made by human beings. That is, with regard to feelings and not the lucrative component of it.

User Info Menu

Peter C is funny ... he proposes thread and then constantly reminds everyone there is no time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Wow, I had regrets about starting this thread (in the way that I did), but it has yielded unsuspected fruits in the form of Callum Allardice from NZ and now Reinier Baas (thanks Christian). Even more interesting for me, is that he composed that piece. I literally dream of playing in that kind of ensemble: prog jazz, hehe. I just don't have enough time to keep abreast of everything. Now, someone was asking about the new Methenys of this world?

PS check out Sandra Hempel for "own voice" originality, too.
    Check out the album Smash Hits (lol) it’s EPIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Mixed feelings about the social mediafication of music - its an easy platform to get out on, but then you get the clickbait game. Its hard, particularly if you dont pay for youtube red, to actually listen to music on the platform without getting distracted by something else

does no one out out albums anymore? I get that streaming pays s###, but would love some solo recordings from Tim Lerch or Martin Taylor (or Chad LB), but get that there is no money in it.

also wonder the extent to which a few ‘superstar’ youtube teachers are eroding the market for private lessons
    Albums are a waste of time, tbh, at best you break even. You may as well make a video. Or do both in one (film a live session) like Mr Baas

EDIT: although increasingly people are finding Vinyl a surprisingly rewarding route.

User Info Menu

Yesterday I fell asleep listening to the CD one of a young guitarist.Everything was very well played but boring.
    slow tempos...sorry.Today I will try to sleep again ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Yesterday I fell asleep listening to the CD one of a young guitarist.Everything was very well played but boring.
    slow tempos...sorry.Today I will try to sleep again ...

Nailed it. That's the challenge.

What is it that needs to be said when it's already been said, and said so well?

Schubert had similar sentiments, after Beethoven.