The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 264

User Info Menu

Many young, talented guitarists play on the so-called jazz market without confronting John Scofield.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Many young, talented guitarists play on the so-called jazz market without confronting John Scofield.
    This is not about a musical confrontation.Just the magic of the name ... that's what I meant.

User Info Menu

I'm an old fart. Almost as old as, and at least as gaseous as Sco if not more so. There's no question this place leans to the even older farts.

(personally I love what Okazaki is doing)

User Info Menu

I'm an old fart too.
    I've been collecting Scofield's records for over 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    don't forget Mike Stern ... :-)
    Love Mike Stern! A great example of a player who plays in a more modern style yet his lines and melodies contain some of the DNA of the old masters.

The thing is, there is a beauty in the old and the new. I'm a Generation Xer and greatly enjoy listening to the old stuff - Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Charlie Parker, Oscar Peterson etc. Just because these styles were recorded a long time ago doesn't make them any less profound or relevant today.

Lately I've been playing Chris Whiteman's albums a LOT, he is a 21st century guitarist who plays in the old school style (and does it extremely well). His music may not be as innovative as some of the other modern players but to my ears his approach is absolutely beautiful and I usually prefer listening to Chris playing an old standard rather than someone trying to push the boundaries of jazz harmony.

User Info Menu

Jazz music is not just a jazz guitar.
    And music is not only jazz music.
    Everyone listens to what they like.
    I know what I like.

User Info Menu

I don't care how old they are, I only care about what happens when the music starts. If I haven't heard of them there's a good reason for it. It might be my fault, but I doubt it. In any case, it takes time to establish oneself.

Outstanding greatness doesn't come along that often so what you get is a whole wash of people who can play the guitar all doing their thing. Not good enough. Don't worry, when someone really good appears we'll know about it. Till then...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't care how old they are, I only care about what happens when the music starts. If I haven't heard of them there's a good reason for it. It might be my fault, but I doubt it. In any case, it takes time to establish oneself.

Outstanding greatness doesn't come along that often so what you get is a whole wash of people who can play the guitar all doing their thing. Not good enough. Don't worry, when someone really good appears we'll know about it. Till then...
    Don't write such nonsense, man.
    Each of these young guitarists are great aware jazz musicians.
    Where are your ears?

User Info Menu

I just googled it. Quite interesting. This was posted 3 days ago and it looks like a serious site. But look at the names on the list!!!

xhttps://jazzfuel.com/modern-jazz-guitarists/x

(This link works absolutely fine on my computer and isn't suspicious but for some reason won't work on the forum here. No idea why. Take away the x's at the start and end and paste it in directly).

User Info Menu

I just googled it. Quite interesting. This was posted 3 days ago and it looks like a vaguely serious site. But look at the names on the list!!!

xhttps://jazzfuel.com/modern-jazz-guitarists/x
    Google yourself all day long and do something interesting about young guitarists.
    Shame.

User Info Menu

Anyway, looks like this. New exciting players!

20th century jazz guitar forum?-aa-jpg

User Info Menu

I have 1300 Cd and I should write about each one?
    Scof is the best!!!
    What are CDs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Funny enough .. Most people at the age you are now hated both Swing, Bop and not to mention great acts like the Beatles and so on when they came out.
    What? You're making it up! You mean like the old, stuffy generation that thought Elvis was going to corrupt their youth? That's not the whole picture by any means, that's just a small, clichéd area of it. And they were wrong, too.

I'm not buying the"when someone really good appears we'll know about it" ... The 13-25 year olds would know about it ... The +40 crowd .. less so
    Of course, each age group has their favorites and all that. There's that old advice to parents - 'Never pretend to like their music'. But are we talking about that?

We're talking about younger jazz guitarists here, or what passes for jazz these days. There's a lot of them, but personally I want to see something different, not just another guitar player. They're all good in their own way at a certain level but where is the star quality? Where is the excellence? If there really was one we'd know by now. But I don't see it.

As I said before, it takes time to establish oneself. There may well be a player out there who's going to go on to great things, and I hope there is, but I'm not aware of it yet. Are you?

It's easy to say 'I like so-and-so and I don't like so-and-so' but that's not the point. Appreciation of music, and a particular style within that area, can't be reduced to personal likes and dislikes, that's too petty. It's a question of great talent revealing itself, which it will if it's got what it takes. Not something novel, bizarre, or for effect, or superficial and ephemeral, but a serious talent that generally evolves slowly, like a flower blooming.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

“And there we have it .. You'd think this thread would end in people posting their favorite 21th century players and instead here we are talking about how no one playing guitar these days is worth listening to ... LOL”

Lobo… dude this is an inter forum. There are rules, conventions to be observed. Threads have to be twisted and turned from subject to subject and get progressively obtuse, or weird, or downright nasty! If they don’t go off rail, then it gets locked and you get banned )))

Like the guy beating up hardwoods in the Vinnyk1 NGD beautiful happy new Campy thread,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Interesting picture Hogan's Hero's. My father was an Los Angeles based studio guitarist, teacher, and jazz guitarist and he appear in one episode of Hogan's Hero's as a guitarist in a band playing for Klink's birthday party. Maybe some have seen the show here? In any any case he was playing his Barker guitar and I have it right here beside me. I realize that is not what the thread is about but in general good music manages to last the ages. At my age I am old enough to know what I like and to not spend much time and energy going places that seem to have no melodic thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasVanGreunen
    Love Mike Stern! A great example of a player who plays in a more modern style yet his lines and melodies contain some of the DNA of the old masters.

The thing is, there is a beauty in the old and the new. I'm a Generation Xer and greatly enjoy listening to the old stuff - Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Charlie Parker, Oscar Peterson etc. Just because these styles were recorded a long time ago doesn't make them any less profound or relevant today.

Lately I've been playing Chris Whiteman's albums a LOT, he is a 21st century guitarist who plays in the old school style (and does it extremely well). His music may not be as innovative as some of the other modern players but to my ears his approach is absolutely beautiful and I usually prefer listening to Chris playing an old standard rather than someone trying to push the boundaries of jazz harmony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    What are CDs?
    CD=compact disc

User Info Menu

The problem’s not the lack of quality younger players, it’s the overabundance of talent. See the same thing with classical music: bigger global talent pool + better training + mature established art form makes it far more difficult for an individual player to differentiate themself.

User Info Menu

Are more of the younger generation of jazz guitarists composing their own music? That is one large aspect of jazz musicians I am drawn to. For me I like to hear what they really have to say musically. The jazz music I listen to is about even with older releases and the newer things that have been released in the 21st century. I do appreciate interpretations of songs but I am more drawn to original compositions by jazz musicians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    The problem’s not the lack of quality younger players, it’s the overabundance of talent. See the same thing with classical music: bigger global talent pool + better training + mature established art form makes it far more difficult for an individual player to differentiate themself.
    It is true.
    Young musicians are very well educated musically.
    Jazz music education is constantly evolving.
    There are many young talented musicians.
    Interestingly, young musicians often learn from their older idols.

User Info Menu

Anyway, looks like this. New exciting players!

20th century jazz guitar forum?-aa-jpg
    Are they new for you?
    I have known Peter Bernstein for at least 20 years.

User Info Menu

Are they new for you?
    I have known Peter Bernstein for at least 20 years.
    It was sarcasm, Kris. They may be 'modern' jazz players but they are very old names. It was a joke, a pun on the word modern.

User Info Menu

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
    The centre cannot hold!