The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

15 “Like Someone in Love"(1976). Sam Jones/Leroy Williams. Bud's arrangement. Super relaxed, super expressive. Barry's varied articulation & placement of the beat—laying back, pushing ahead, riding right on it—excites the emotions. Triplets rule the world!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love all of the above, but this album is especially dear to me:

User Info Menu

16 “Oblivion” (1985). Hal Dodson/Leroy Williams. Look out! Bud's flag-waver taken WAY upstairs. It’s not just the speed, but the melodic, rhythmic & harmonic integrity of Barry’s lines. God is in the details. Barry looks as relaxed as if playing a ballad.

User Info Menu

17 “All God’s Children Got Rhythm” (1990.) Another upstairs tempo but with a twist: Barry opens at a moderate speed with a nutty arrangement — dig the descending quasi-boogie figure in the left-hand — that he copped from a tape he had of Monk practicing.

User Info Menu

18 “Nascimento" (1996). Mraz/Williams. Barry’s set closer, one of his most alluring originals. His regulars always lead the audience participation — rhythmic handclaps during the interludes & wordless singing of the splendorous melody. Magic.

User Info Menu

19 "The Bird of Red & Gold" (1979). Dial BH for beauty. From my fave of Barry's four solo piano records, a celestial original ballad as radiant as a Shelley ode. Barry sings — literally — his own poetic lyric. Brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

User Info Menu

David, this is a damn treasure trove. I can't believe how many of these are new to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    David, this is a damn treasure trove. I can't believe how many of these are new to me.
    I though I had a pretty good Barry collection but I see I’ve just scratched the surface…. WOW! THANKS ALL!

My fav Barry is all the stuff he recorded with Stitt. The comping and feel is just so good as well as the soloing.

User Info Menu

His passing prompted me to discover his music and some of his concepts - the first thing that immediately stood out is how well he plays Monk - other than a few standards like Round Midnight or Blue Monk, I tend to not like other versions which either over or underplay the cool idiosyncrasies in the music, but BH seems to nail it while being more fluid than Monk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    His passing prompted me to discover his music and some of his concepts - the first thing that immediately stood out is how well he plays Monk - other than a few standards like Round Midnight or Blue Monk, I tend to not like other versions which either over or underplay the cool idiosyncrasies in the music, but BH seems to nail it while being more fluid than Monk

well they did use to live in the same house

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    well they did use to live in the same house
    did not know that, said I was a newb

User Info Menu

Barry has often been celebrated as a Monk interpreter but always said that his greatest influence was Bud Powell.